Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon-C 600mm F/11.5 Telephoto vs. Long Lens?

Fujinon-C 600mm F/11.5 Telephoto vs. Long Lens?

I am trying to determine if there are telephoto and standard long lens versions of the Fujinon-C 600mm f/11.5 lens?

Are all Fujinon-C 600mm f/11.5 lenses of the standard long lens design, or are some telephoto? If so, is there a way to identify?

Understanding if one lens is a standard long lens or telephoto makes a lot of difference, as noted on the LFP Lens Primer page at https://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

Thanks

Larry

Re: Fujinon-C 600mm F/11.5 Telephoto vs. Long Lens?

All Fujinon-C lenses in all focal lengths are the same four element design. None are telephotos.

There is, however, a separate Fujinon-T series of telephoto lenses and that includes a 600mm f/12 that is a telephoto.

See here:
    http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm

Drew Wiley

C stands for "Compact", and that it certainly is. It is a relatively flat looking lens in a no.3 Copal shutter, and it has huge coverage, known to have been used even on 20X24 Polaroid cameras, although up to 16X20 would be more realistic with movements. Fuji does make a nice longish 600 tele, but it's only designed for 4x5 or possibly 5X7 coverage. The size and weight of any 600 tele suitable for 8X10 format would be equivalent to a rhinoceros, and as clumsy as a rhinoceros wearing high heels, which pretty much describes the Nikon 600T ED f/9, which requires 95 mm filters and likely a double tripod setup too. I don't know its actual weight in tons.

Do keep in mind that bellows draw (length required for a given focussed distance) on a telephoto will be less than that of an equivalent focal length non tele...and that the bellows length requirements for a non tele begin, on the short end (when focussed on infinity), as roughly the equivalent of a given non-tele's focal length and go longer as focus distance decreases (gets closer).

In other words, if wanting to use a 600mm Fujinon-C on your camera, your bellows had better stretch out to at least 600mm, and preferably significantly beyond this.

Having said the above, I'd personally prefer to use a non-tele lens (no matter the focal length), over a tele lens, assuming my bellows length will acommodate it.

Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    All Fujinon-C lenses in all focal lengths are the same four element design. None are telephotos.

There is, however, a separate Fujinon-T series of telephoto lenses and that includes a 600mm f/12 that is a telephoto.

See here:
    http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm

Do keep in mind that bellows draw (length required for a given focussed distance) on a telephoto will be less than that of an equivalent focal length non tele...and that the bellows length requirements for a non tele begin, on the short end (when focussed on infinity), as roughly the equivalent of a given non-tele's focal length and go longer as focus distance decreases (gets closer).

In other words, if wanting to use a 600mm Fujinon-C on your camera, your bellows had better stretch out to at least 600mm, and preferably significantly beyond this.

Having said the above, I'd personally prefer to use a non-tele lens (no matter the focal length), over a tele lens, assuming my bellows length will acommodate it.

Drew Wiley

Some more comparison specs : The Fuji 600C is 65mm long, in no. 3 shutter, and weighs 575g. The Fuji 600T f/12 is 179mm long, in no. 1 shutter, and weighs 1000g. The C version is much more expensive on the used market.

I use a Red Dot Artar 24" (600mm) on 8x10 and 11x14. In a barrel. Even with fairly long arms, it is a stretch to adjust the aperture and look at the GG at the same time! Have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

That's why we need gene therapy infusing us with long-armed Orangutan genes!

I would suggest that if you are taking 11 x 14" or bigger negs, you can just ask your butler to do this.