Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-wash of film - good or bad???

Jeffery Dale Welker

Re: Pre-wash of film - good or bad???

That is why I do not presoak Ilford film and I've never had an issue after hundreds of rolls of 120 and countless sheets of 4x5. That being said, whatever works best for any photographers workflow. Some of my darkroom fun has been experimenting and determining what I like best. Even when a fellow photographer, whom I respect greatly, does the polar opposite. Variety is the spice of life...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    Ilford specifically warn against it on all current datasheets : "A pre-rinse is not recommended, as it can lead to uneven processing".
    The only other mention I can see in any datasheets, is Kodak saying that it can help in tray-processing of sheet film. I wouldn't argue with this.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

I got started using water to warm up tanks before color processing. Seeing all the dyes was a "reward". Good doggy, here's your treat!

Pavlov's darkroom worker!

Pre-soak if you have a good reason to. Don't if you don't. It's really that simple.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Pre-soak if you have a good reason to. Don't if you don't. It's really that simple.

Doremus
    Absolutely

I started doing it routinely when I got a Jobo (including Ilford films) with no problems.

I did get uneven development on some 4x5 with the 2509n reels - I have a CPE2 - and yes I used the “bat wings” but pre wash or not didn’t seem to matter.

Now that I’m getting back into photography after several years I’m just considering splurging for a larger Jobo and Expert drums.

I reckon film pre-wash is essential where a relatively small volume of developer is used in continuous replenishment mode.

My Xtol-rep stock bottle has a volume of 2 litres and I replenish at the rate of 90ml (not Kodak's 70ml suggestion) per film. If I did not do a pre-wash the first 100 films through that 2 litre bottle of developer would have left about 90 films worth of dye still in the bottle after regular replenishment. And there are many dyes; anti-halation dye, spectral sensitisation dye, acutance dye, and speed trimming dye.
    I don't think any developer can reliably cope with such a huge accumulating dye load and I'm not going to risk a row of films just to find out.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Drew Wiley

Uneveness in Jobo drums is often due to another cause, since their drums fill and drain slowly. I can fill or drain one of my 30X40 inch print capacity drums faster than a single-roll 120 film capacity Jobo drum.

No pre-wet here, several thousand sheets of 4x5 and 8x10 Delta 100 processed. HP5 in lower volume, also fine. Most on unicolor drum with roller base, then jobo expert drums on a CPA.

I have been playing with Tmax 400 and ironically, I have been thinking about pre-wetting it but haven't yet and all fine so far. Very low volume though.

Test your thing then do your thing. Consistency is key for sure.

-=Will
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

I never pre-washed film in 20 years of processing. Never noticed any issues. However, as I recently started using Fomapan 100 in 4x5 sheets I now pre-wash that emulsion only since Foma’s dyes are so strong that of you don’t pre-wash the dye ends up contaminating the stop bath, fixer and hypo for re-use. I realise the dye likely has no effect on those baths but I err on the side of caution. Have not noticed any issue with pre-washing Fomapan 100 so will keep doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro