Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hats, bugspray, boots, sunscreen

Hats, bugspray, boots, sunscreen

Oh, and they DO get into the camera. On the noblex they settle on the drum while it is rotating and crawl in through the slit. You have to wait for them to die and shake them out.

They still sell the 3M product at the Anchorage REI. Perhaps the other REI's have it, too.

When the bugs aren't horrible I spray a shirt and a hat with a brim with DEET, as opposed to spraying my skin. There are some bugs here, white socks being only one of several, that are undeterred by DEET. As much as I like summer, winter is not without its own attractions... or lack of detractions!

Dave Karp

For sunscreen, make sure your sunscreen has avobenzone in it. My dermatologist recommends sunscreens with this ingredient, and only sunscreens with this ingredient. Coincidentally, my wife's good friend is a doctor, and she was at the beach with her friend and their kids. She wondered why her kids were red and she was using a 45 SPF screen on her kids, while her friend's kids were not red. Her friend is a dermatologist and her kids were wearing sunscreen with avobenzone. My wife's friend's kids were not. Now that is all we use.

For mosquitos, we found some stuff at the store in Yosemite when we ran out of deet. I think it was made with eucaliptus. We used it on ourselves and the kids, and it worked pretty well. Probably not as good as deet, but we felt better putting it on the kids.

Hiya everybody. With the rise in the incidence of West Nile virus in the United States, new concerns arose on the safety of DEET for use in adults, children, lactating mothers, and pregnancy. Thankfully, there have been thousands of hours of DEET use data available. All the trials, to date, have shown that DEET is safe for all groups. Manufacturers are working on ways to reduce the amount of DEET absorbed through the skin. However, some individuals (approx. 1:5,000) will be sensitive to DEET, usually manifested first by intense itching. There is a new insect repellent under study, Picaridin, that is less irritating than DEET.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Sunscreen ... my observations from climbing, where my lilly white flesh might be under high altitude sun from sunrise to sunset, is that there's no substitute for using a lot of it, and reapplying it often. No matter how high the SPF, or how "sweatproof" it is, none of it lasts as long as you might like. I've gone all day with SPF 15 and been ok if I apply it all the time. But being lazy with SPF 45 has gotten me fried.

Some are better than others. The ones that contain pigment, like titanium dioxide, are technically called sunblocks. they're good if you have sensitive skin, but they all sweat off much faster than chemical sunscreens. So for hiking, climbing, or cycling, I go with the chemical sunscreens. I don't have a pet brand, but I've had good luck with neutrogena and a few others. I usually go to a local climbing shop and get whatever they have that's spf 30 or higher, is perfume free, and claims to be hypoallergenic and sweatproof. These days all the ones that meet thise criteria seem to be good enough.

Bug stuff ... i read somewhere that you get few added benefits when the DEET content is above 30%. I'd beware of anything stronger anyhow. i once had a bottle of muskol which is 100% DEET. furniture varnish would stick to my hands and arms! anything that disolves wood finishes is probably best not smeared all over your body. That being said, DEET's been in use for a long time, and I've never seen a study that found health issues with it.

Boots ... i can help with hiking and climbing boots, but if you need something high enough for clomping through swamps, maybe go somewhere that sells to hunters.

Thanks for the pointer to the consumer reports bug repellent test. The results were very interesting. Top was 98% Deet but the 3M Ultrathon with only 34% Deet was second, with about 7+ hrs protection. Looks like a winner.

Eating fresh garlic will also help you live longer according to Mel Brooks ' 4,000 year old man:

When the Angel of Death taps you on the shoulder, you turn and say

"Whos there?"

The Angel of Death leaves.

My wife recently banned me from garlic fries at the base ball stadium.

Should I be concerned???
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

3M Ultrathon, lasts a long long time, comes in a small tube, so you can carry more lenses.

One Answer;
    BENS 100

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Nothing beats DEET.

Dan, you said 'when the shocker is running'.... is that what I thnk it is...??