Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best grain focusing loupe (for under the enlarger) ever made by man?

Re: What is the best grain focusing loupe (for under the enlarger) ever made by man?

I'm not sure what problem a fancy grain focussing loupe is supposed to solve. I use a "cheap" Paterson Micro Focus Finder that is adjusted to my eye and reliably supports sharp grain in my enlargements. The Paterson focusser does not work in the corners of the image but it doesn't need to. My negative carriers have glass to keep negatives flat and I get sharp grain all over. If I suddenly started to get blurry corners changing the grain magnifier wouldn't help.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Re: What is the best grain focusing loupe (for under the enlarger) ever made by man?

They are also called Omega Micromega Critical Focuser. Same thing I think. I recently started using one of these and it is FAR superior to the regular Peak focusers. The normal Peak focuser works fine, but for me, it is definitely worth the upgrade. It's the little things that make a darkroom session smooth and more fun.

-=WillClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230501-210535.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	238279
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Drew Wiley

Just because you can get good grain perception using a cheaper unit doesn't mean you've attained accurate focus. When I was nearly going insane myself trying to psychoanalyze why my Scoponet behaved like a schizophrenic, I finally noticed that the anti-scuff pad under its base was hydroscopic cardboard, merely waxed, and swelled thicker or contracted thinner with humidity changes.

Will - those are indeed just rebranded Peak Critical units. Peak made all kinds of things. I have an optometrist friend still active over 80, and still using all Peak optometry equipment.

Barry Young

I have 2 Omega Micromega Grain focusers. I replaced the mirrors on them (Make sure you use first surface mirror if you do replace the mirror. You can find awesome huge chunks of first surface mirrors in rear projection TV's on the side of the road. I also have a magnasight, a Paterson and several other grain focussers, none even come close to the Peak Micromega. Very few things in our hobby can be as highly recommended.

Barry Young
    Last edited by barryjyoung; 28-Jul-2023 at 11:54.

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I'm not sure what problem a fancy grain focussing loupe is supposed to solve. I use a "cheap" Paterson Micro Focus Finder that is adjusted to my eye and reliably supports sharp grain in my enlargements. The Paterson focusser does not work in the corners of the image but it doesn't need to. My negative carriers have glass to keep negatives flat and I get sharp grain all over. If I suddenly started to get blurry corners changing the grain magnifier wouldn't help.
    I certainly wouldn't mind owning one of those cool looking Peak grain focusers, but I too have absolutely no complaints about my Paterson Micro Focus finder. I have used it since the mid 70's.
    ----
    Niels