Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever purchased a silver gelatin print from a living photographer?

Re: Have you ever purchased a silver gelatin print from a living photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    [I]... I agree with bmikiten, that Jay Dusard is a vastly underrated photgrapher.
    An excellent photographer/teacher. I took my first workshop from Jay (along with Harrison Branch and Bruce B.) in 1985. I had been packing mules for a few seasons by then and appreciated the sincerity and sense of reality of his images of work and people of the ranches. A very down-to-earth person.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Nice story re. Bradford. I first saw that shot in a copy of Bill Brandt's book 'The Land' in the university library.
    I did toy with the idea of getting one of his Mt. McKinley shots a little later, but never did, and regret it now.
    I must look up Jay Dusard.

Jay Dusard received a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1981. His book The North American Cowboy, A Portrait published in 1983 is a real gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    An excellent photographer/teacher. I took my first workshop from Jay (along with Harrison Branch and Bruce B.) in 1985. I had been packing mules for a few seasons by then and appreciated the sincerity and sense of reality of his images of work and people of the ranches. A very down-to-earth person.
    Vaughn, it's a small world. The only workshop i've ever taken was with Jay Dusard in Bondurant Wyoming. By that time digital cameras were coming in. A gentleman who owned Ries Tripods and I were the only ones shooting large format. One other participant, a young woman working for the newspaper in Jackson was the only other one using film. She had some very nice work done with a Rolleiflex. I brought a 5x7 and a 4x10 box camera (a copy of the camera J.D. had used for his book Open Country), and had lots of time hanging out with Jay. We got to spend one day in the darkroom in Jackson. What I was able to glean from watching Jay print, was the highlight of the week for me.

No room on my wall's

I have bought a few, very few
    Tin Can

I have several silver gelatin prints from both living and deceased photographers hanging on the walls of my home and a few carefully tucked away in storage. Most were purchased directly from the photographer or from the Friends of Photography, in the case of one John Sexton print and one Alan Ross print.

I have an entire corner of one room filled with SG prints, many from friends and some from well-known photographers. Just this weekend I went to an art festival and bought a triptych of cyanotypes and a lumen print from a wonderful young photographer.

Support artists!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Yes, I've bought about 20 silver gelatin prints from living artists. I have tons more that I traded for through print exchanges.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Have you ever purchased a silver gelatin print from a living photographer?

I wanted to start collecting photographs when I was 20 and bought a big color print by David Graham, and a black and white print by Pedro Meyer. Loved them both but my later acquired wife didn’t.

Life go expensive, and during all the moves I made, and a house fire, I had the David Graham burn! So now I am only left with one silver gelatin print. Color just doesn’t last, the elements have their way with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Yes, both because I enjoy prints from good photographers, and also because I think if one loves photography we should support upcoming photographers. I have prints I bought through the Friends of Photography (Sally Mann, John Sexton, Linda Connor), at least one silver gelatin and 3 or 4 color inkjet prints from various craft shows, and a couple of platinum prints from Ray Bidegain who used to (still?) posts to this site. I hang (and rotate) the prints on my family room wall mixed in with my own prints. If they blend in with my own work I figure I'm doing OK; if they stand out as much better than my own work, I know I have to work harder.