Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Tailboards To Look Out For

Question 5x7 Tailboards To Look Out For

I've had my B&J for just shy of a year and I'm already itching for something a little better. Mine is a bit bedraggled - everything is wobbly, movements are too loose or too tight, there are a couple random screws sticking out, still takes great photos of course. I could buy a nicer one - I saw a better kit than mine for sale recently - but I'm curious about what other good tailboards are out there.

This is hypothetical for the moment, as I have a few things higher up on my shopping list. As such, price is irrelevant, it doesn't matter that I'm not in a position to drop four grand on a camera. If I had to list out a few requirements, they'd be as follows:
    • It's gotta be 5x7
    • It's gotta be a tailboard
    • Strongly prefer field cameras (I do like the fields)
    • Gotta take standard 5x7 holders
    • My lenses range from 115 to 250mm, bellows accordingly
    • My B&J was modified to take 110mm Toyo Field boards, which are a bit dinky. Larger boards would be a plus
    • Good range of movements, including rear tilt, but I'm not too fussy
    • Center detents for movements would be absolutely delightful

If you're gonna suggest I try a format other than 5x7, you'd better say 7x17

Re: 5x7 Tailboards To Look Out For

My most frequently used LF camera over several decades was a B&J 5x7 tailboard, often with a 4x5 back. Although B&J and Graflex press cameras were more compact and a Graphic View monorail was more elegant, the 5x7 tailboard was good enough and often better for whatever task was at hand. It wasn't quite as solid as the Graphic View, especially with an extension bed attached, but analyzing that problem leads to ways of correcting it.

Ansco made a 5x7 tailboard camera, similar to the B&J.
    Both Ansco and B&J 5x7's have a native 5.25" square lensboard.
    B&J 5x7 Rembrandt portrait cameras have a 6" square lensboard, but no front movements.
    Older "antique" cameras like Senecas, Rochester, and Eastmans are usually pretty loosey-goosey, fragile, and front-rail-drop, with smaller lensboards.
    Maybe Richard Ritter can help you.

I have all 3 sizes of B&J Rembrandt

All made right after WW11 as a good sturdy Portrait camera

All mount Packard standard with flash sync

I prefer the 5x7 as it and 4X5 have a metal GG holder, which does not wear out and is ventilated

It can mount many heavy lenses easily

Last time I wrote about them, the price went up

I try to seldom sell

Good Luck
    Tin Can

My first LF camera was a 5x7 Ansco. I made contact prints in the tiny little upstairs bathroom. I have now used a B&J for ten years or so and... the Ansco was a much better camera. I swear at my B&J and it swears back at me, so I guess I have to keep it. I doubt I could in good conscience get rid of a camera with a potty mouth.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

The Ansco looks nice! It appears reasonably priced, too. Mr. Ritter's work is quite nice too, it's his 7x17 I've been eyeing, so a matching 5x7 would make for a nice bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    ...I swear at my B&J and it swears back at me, so I guess I have to keep it. I doubt I could in good conscience get rid of a camera with a potty mouth.
    I have enough inanimate objects swearing at me, I prefer to be on good terms with my gear

It may not qualify as a tailback since the front rail is the one that flips up. 5x7 Eastman Kodak View No.2 -- has been working very well for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7b.jpg   EV2_5x7a.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have both an agfa/ansco and b&j in 8x10. The agfa/ansco tailboard is prettier and more refined, at least the older brass hardware version (I have no experience with the later plastic knobs version). I like both though. I know a lot don't like the grey color of the b&j but I think it looks good. My favorite colors are red and grey so I might be a bit bias hah

Agree the Ansco is a real step up from the B&J.

A Kodak 33a is a tailboard camera you can regularly find, lightweight 5x7