Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford multigrade filters / size help / Omega D2 users

Ilford multigrade filters / size help / Omega D2 users

I would like to purchase a set of ilford multigrade filters for my "new" Omega D2V

I not sure what size to order - I plan on placing them in the variable condenser housing.

Thinking 6x6?

Thank You

Re: Ilford multigrade filters / size help / Omega D2 users

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I would like to purchase a set of ilford multigrade filters for my "new" Omega D2V

I not sure what size to order - I plan on placing them in the variable condenser housing.

Thinking 6x6?

Thank You
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    yes
    Excellent!
    Thanks for the quick reply

The Ilford Multigrade filters fit right in my D2 upper condenser housing ;-). and so do my old Cibachrome filters.......

I use Ilford Multigrade Filters with my Omega D2V enlarger but strictly as below the lens filters and not filters in the enlarger head. Why? Manipulating the enlarger head to insert and remove filters can move it slightly. This is of no account for working at a single contrast value but it becomes critical if the contrast filters are changed during the printing of a single negative for split grade or selective burn/dodge effects. Enlarger head movement between exposures can cause a subtle double image effect that looks like vague unsharpness.
    Below the lens filters can be slipped in and out with a very light touch that does not risk enlarger movement between changes.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I use Ilford Multigrade Filters with my Omega D2V enlarger but strictly as below the lens filters and not filters in the enlarger head. Why? Manipulating the enlarger head to insert and remove filters can move it slightly. This is of no account for working at a single contrast value but it becomes critical if the contrast filters are changed during the printing of a single negative for split grade or selective burn/dodge effects. Enlarger head movement between exposures can cause a subtle double image effect that looks like vague unsharpness.
    Below the lens filters can be slipped in and out with a very light touch that does not risk enlarger movement between changes.
    C'mon. Something is not right with your enlarger. The door opens freely, slipping the filter in takes little effort and none of which should disturb the head unless it is not lock in place. You might be experiencing softens from negative pop between exposures due to heat.

That's an interesting thought - wonder if there is a way to test the theory?
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    C'mon. Something is not right with your enlarger. The door opens freely, slipping the filter in takes little effort and none of which should disturb the head unless it is not lock in place. You might be experiencing softens from negative pop between exposures due to heat.
    My enlarger could be at fault. It is emblazoned Simmon Bros Inc Long Island and dates from the 1950s. But it has all its bolts and screws done up tight and it's in alignment. All my neg carriers use glass so no film popping.

The flip-up door to the lamp-house is spring loaded to be open or closed. While watching a negative through a high magnification grain magnifier I had a colleague open that little door and I noted that the grain shook then settled in about 3 seconds. Closing the door again produced about 3 seconds of shake. I may be a good assumption that the enlarger settles back exactly to where it was before the lamp-house was opened and closed but I don't know absolutely for sure.

When I gently change a below-the-lens filter and watch the film grain I see no such shake. Maybe it makes no difference but with the cost of enlarging paper I'd rather not take a chance. And then there's the usual paranoia about not getting the best results through a simple mistake. In the interests of more paranoia I step away from the enlarger and its bench for a few seconds before making the exposure via a foot-switch.

An concerning design feature of the Omega D2V is the long thin lever that lifts the lamp-house and opens and closes the negative stage. Badly used that lever can vibrate for about 35 seconds after the negative stage is closed. This on a piece of photographic apparatus that should be an epitome of stillness.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

My enlarger could be at fault. It is emblazoned Simmon Bros Inc Long Island and dates from the 1950s. But it has all its bolts and screws done up tight and it's in alignment. All my neg carriers use glass so no film popping.

The flip-up door to the lamp-house is spring loaded to be open or closed. While watching a negative through a high magnification grain magnifier I had a colleague open that little door and I noted that the grain shook then settled in about 3 seconds. Closing the door again produced about 3 seconds of shake. I may be a good assumption that the enlarger settles back exactly to where it was before the lamp-house was opened and closed but I don't know absolutely for sure.

When I gently change a below-the-lens filter and watch the film grain I see no such shake. Maybe it makes no difference but with the cost of enlarging paper I'd rather not take a chance. And then there's the usual paranoia about not getting the best results through a simple mistake. In the interests of more paranoia I step away from the enlarger and its bench for a few seconds before making the exposure via a foot-switch.

An concerning design feature of the Omega D2V is the long thin lever that lifts the lamp-house and opens and closes the negative stage. Badly used that lever can vibrate for about 35 seconds after the negative stage is closed. This on a piece of photographic apparatus that should be an epitome of stillness.
    Maybe try removing the spring. And anchor the top of the column to the wall.

Interesting to hear about the vibration issues. I will be cognizant of that when I get my enlarger set up.
    In the process of stripping & repainting the condenser housing, as it was shedding paint chips.
    Apart from that it is in excellent condition.

I will also see if I can brace the column to help stabilize it better.
    Still trying to find the perfect spot for it in the darkroom....thinking I will have a better idea – after I have painted the sink & set it up.
    Two choices with tradeoffs - one close to a wall (where I can brace & have good height) but a little far from the sink & a spot in the middle of the room (not ideal) with good proximity to the sink but no way to brace the enlarger.