Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First portrait with a flash

Re: First portrait with a flash

Great experiment and nice job. I'm not into portraiture, rather landscapes. Since taking up LF during Covid, I started to use my micro 4/3 digital camera as a director's viewfinder. I switch it to show BW on the LED if I'm shooting BW film. I scout the shot framing as I go. Then I spot where I want to shoot and go setup my tripod and LF camera there. The zoom lens on the digital camera allows me to see which equivalent LF lens to use. I'll shoot a digital shot for record purposes. Then I switch video on to record my settings and notes rather than writing stuff down and playing with paper and pen.

I've been using the digital camera as a light meter as well, but that's another story.

You can go crazy with lights. This one took 6 strobes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sensory Deprevation Hat 3_color.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	237619

The cabbage is a single light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabbage_S1005336 copy.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	237620

I'm lucky enough to work at a catalog studio in late 80's early 90's. It was mainly strobes (speedotrons) but sometimes I get to work on the hotlights floor.
    Those shots are great for testing it out. It does get kinda expensive these days if you are testing. So digital may be good for tests before making a final. My favorite lens that I can use with strobes has a bi-post. But this year and in the future, I think I'd rather be doing strong LED. It's just hard as heck to focus with the modeling light. If you do decide to stay with strobes, go to your Home Depot or Lowes and get a bright-ass garage type light just for focusing. Then turn it off when ready to shoot.

I know the old guys like me here know how to use multiple pops on strobes, you can google that. But for people you really can't. So if you like strobes and shooting stills and need f/2million or something, google up on multiple pops. F/5.6 on one pop, f/8 on 2 pops, and so on. You get the idea.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I'm lucky enough to work at a catalog studio in late 80's early 90's. It was mainly strobes (speedotrons) but sometimes I get to work on the hotlights floor.
    Those shots are great for testing it out. It does get kinda expensive these days if you are testing. So digital may be good for tests before making a final. My favorite lens that I can use with strobes has a bi-post. But this year and in the future, I think I'd rather be doing strong LED. It's just hard as heck to focus with the modeling light. If you do decide to stay with strobes, go to your Home Depot or Lowes and get a bright-ass garage type light just for focusing. Then turn it off when ready to shoot.

I know the old guys like me here know how to use multiple pops on strobes, you can google that. But for people you really can't. So if you like strobes and shooting stills and need f/2million or something, google up on multiple pops. F/5.6 on one pop, f/8 on 2 pops, and so on. You get the idea.
    I use a strong LED flashlight for focusing. A ball of crumpled up tin foil on a stick held by the model or over the set if it is a still life helps a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I use a strong LED flashlight for focusing. A ball of crumpled up tin foil on a stick held by the model or over the set if it is a still life helps a lot too.
    Good deal! I used to use the front page of the NYTimes. Print was better to focus for me and the guys at worked with. Stick to what works for you!
    --