Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom sink - slope help

Darkroom sink - slope help

Hello!

I've decided to build a sink out of poplar (sides) & plywood (floor) to fit my space.
    Quick question, a darkroom book recommended a 1 inch pitch to drain the water.
    I spoke with a carpenter, he told me that was too extreme.

What do you recommend for a pitch?
    The sink will be 58" long & it will drain in the center.

Thanks in advance!

Serge

Re: Darkroom sink - slope help

1" over 24" (58/2) is very steep - unless you plan to put in a leveling duckboard, trays and tanks will be tilted just as much.

Sink drain /pipes/ usually have around 1/4" per 12" of horizontal run, so that would be 1/2" from each end to the drain, though with a center drain you will have a join in the base that itself will need a bit of a slope. I'd say that's the steepest I'd use for a general purpose sink.

Thanks for the quick response Graham!

You can easily get away with 1/16"- 1/8" slope per foot of run, you're only draining liquids, no solids.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

I used even less with great success.

My sink is 3 X 16 feet...marine epoxy over baltic birch ply - and is very sturdy with a very flat and slippery bottom, and with that I get away nicely with a 1" drop over the entire length, and about a 1/4 inch downward tilt from front to back...as the drain is located in the right rear corner. With these specs it will drain quite nicely...albeit a bit slowly, so at the end of a processing/printing session its typical for me to whip out my 18" rubber squeegee and help things along - which gives me (my sink, that is) a quite dry bottom.

Nice thing about establishing a minimal yet still effective slope is that solutions in trays are essentially level...but if a try is filled to overflowing it will still empty out over the downhill side.

A cool aspect of my sink is that when I was laying things out...I realized that the two sheets of plywood which I'd used for this happened to be "book matched," meaning that the visible grain pattern of the top layer of veneer on each sheet essentially mirror each other. It is for this reason that I decided against adding any pigment to the epoxy mix. Not sure how visible this is here, but if you look carefully at the back seam you just might see it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Film Processing Tray Setup.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	237567

I also have a self-made plywood, fiberglass cloth/ marine epoxy sink, 30" x 12'.
    Slope is about 1/8" per foot, which drains well. Could have gone a bit less, but even so, like John Layton, I sometimes squeegee to floor of the sink to reduce any standing water.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    My sink is 3 X 16 feet...marine epoxy over baltic birch ply - and is very sturdy with a very flat and slippery bottom, and with that I get away nicely with a 1" drop over the entire length, and about a 1/4 inch downward tilt from front to back...as the drain is located in the right rear corner. With these specs it will drain quite nicely...albeit a bit slowly, so at the end of a processing/printing session its typical for me to whip out my 18" rubber squeegee and help things along - which gives me (my sink, that is) a quite dry bottom.

Nice thing about establishing a minimal yet still effective slope is that solutions in trays are essentially level...but if a try is filled to overflowing it will still empty out over the downhill side.

A cool aspect of my sink is that when I was laying things out...I realized that the two sheets of plywood which I'd used for this happened to be "book matched," meaning that the visible grain pattern of the top layer of veneer on each sheet essentially mirror each other. It is for this reason that I decided against adding any pigment to the epoxy mix. Not sure how visible this is here, but if you look carefully at the back seam you just might see it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Film Processing Tray Setup.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	237567
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Drew Wiley

Mine slopes 2 inches over 10 ft of length. But the exact angle isn't very important. You don't need much overall slope.

Thank You for the informative replies.
    Much appreciated!

Jeffery Dale Welker

I’d like to expand this discussion to include various design priorities for the base, beyond the important job of supporting the sink. What has worked best for your darkroom?
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison