Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it?

Question Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it?

I was wondering, wouldn't developing in a tray virtually eliminate the chances of scratching? I got scratches on the 4x5 negative I developed last night.

Images here.

They were small patches of scratches only present on the three points of contact where the negative touches the 3D-printed holder. I was using the 20th Century 4x5 reel. I've used that reel a few times without a problem before. E6, C-41, B&W. I must have agitated the film too much

Unfortunately, a few scratches are visible on a critical spot in the center of the negative. Have you ever scratched a negative with tray development? Maybe you could rub the film too hard if you grab it wrong. Also, doing the entire process in the dark has to be tedious.

Also, tray development only works with B&W, right? You wouldn't have the option with E6 or C-41.

Re: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it

There is no best

I use trays in full dark or safe light

I prefer Gas Burst
    Tin Can

Re: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it

Until the advent of those inserts like MOD54 and knockoffs that have followed it, tray developing itself was the best way to scratch film. If you wish to obtain clean, scratch-free evenly developed negatives, invest in a Jobo Expert drum.

Doing a single sheet in a tray is the best way to eliminate scratches. In my experience, x-ray film needs to be developed this way. Tubes are an option for scratch-free development as are tanks/hangers. The latter, though, requires quite a bit of experience to achieve even development. Truth is, all options have up/down sides.

Untruth

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Until the advent of those inserts like MOD54 and knockoffs that have followed it, tray developing itself was the best way to scratch film. If you wish to obtain clean, scratch-free evenly developed negatives, invest in a Jobo Expert drum.
    Tin Can

Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it?

Never had scratches using the SP-445. You can submerge it in a larger plastic container with a sous vide and process color (your hands or some contraption are needed to keep it from tilting/floating). I’ve also used their 8x10 tray (SP-8x10) with the dividers to fit 4 sheets of 4x5 and is great for B&W but not for color — large surface means faster temp changes and gradients which for me resulted in color shifts, and it’s not deep enough to submerge into a temp controlled bath.

Jobo expert is the best system but is a big investment both in cost and space. Worthwhile if you process a lot of color or if money and space are not an issue.

Tray development works great if you place a glass sheet covering the bottom. That is the only way I can develop X-ray film without any scratches (which is the most finicky film to get scratched). But again, not ideal for color.

Doesn't anyone use 4x5 hangars in a deep tank? Is there a better way? In a tray the negative is in contact with the bottom. With reels there is bending and friction.

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    Doesn't anyone use 4x5 hangars in a deep tank? Is there a better way? In a tray the negative is in contact with the bottom. With reels there is bending and friction.
    The ones I’ve seen take a lot of chemistry. Good if you’re going to run multiple batches in one sitting until exhausting a large amount of chemicals, and if you can control their temperature. effectively that’s what an SP-445 is, with a lid.

There is no issue with tray processing due to contact with the bottom. I process double sided X-ray all the time without issues (with a glass sheet at the bottom to avoid scratching).

I use many hangers, including 3X4, 4X5, 8X10 singles

Also 2 up 5X7

I can process 16 4X5 on 4 up hangers in one go with my Gas Burst DIY system

Flat bottom trays work fine as, I do 11X14 in them one at a time

Get it all wet fast and keep it moving

I will never pay $500 for a plastic drum

I also process 2X3 sheet in a waffle holder in sealed MF cans

I also process up t0 14X36" with 2 clips and see saw in the tray

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    Tin Can

You can't have everything. If you want the best possible uniformity, no risk of scratches, and easy of use, you have to give some on solution volumes/economy and the number of sheets you can do in one go. Note the choice of film is an important variable.

I had to resort to making my own device for this. Sheet film is a pain in the ass but so be it.