Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The AI thread

Re: What's going to become of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I agree but that sort of dissonance will get you rejected from the community of people calling themselves "fine art" photographers. On the other hand that's probably a good thing - a badge of honor in a way.
    Engaged couples would be my clients, so those others don't count.

An issue (sometimes the proverbial elephant in the room) is that photography in general has always been a tough sell when it comes to the visual artform playing field. With few exceptions it plays - at best - second fiddle (no offense intended toward second violins) to painting, drawing etc. - artforms in which the "hand of the artist" is more obvious. I think this is one of the motivations for some photographers hammering away at differentiating themselves as "fine art" workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Well, Photography has been considered one of the arts. AI and PS might take it out of that realm for many. So, you have to define art before you can discuss what's going to happen to it.

multiplex

Well, Photography has been considered one of the arts. AI and PS might take it out of that realm for many. So, you have to define art before you can discuss what's going to happen to it.
    its funny you think it takes it OUT Of the realm of many, it actually does the opposite, it allows people who can't visit places, see things create something the way they have wished to be able to have better creative control over what they enjoy doing.
    just like the programs that make ordinary people look like beautiful fashionistas, AI and PS allow people to dream. It wasn't too long ago that the gatekeepers of Large Format would tell people who mainly shot 35mm that it was too difficult to do, &c to dissuade people from using a LF camera. It doesn't mean that everyone who uses a LF camera does it well or creates masterpieces, but at least it allows people who aren't product, architectural or portrait photographers to enjoy a medium once only used by commercial and assignment photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    its funny you think it takes it OUT Of the realm of many, it actually does the opposite, it allows people who can't visit places, see things create something the way they have wished to be able to have better creative control over what they enjoy doing.
    just like the programs that make ordinary people look like beautiful fashionistas, AI and PS allow people to dream. It wasn't too long ago that the gatekeepers of Large Format would tell people who mainly shot 35mm that it was too difficult to do, &c to dissuade people from using a LF camera. It doesn't mean that everyone who uses a LF camera does it well or creates masterpieces, but at least it allows people who aren't product, architectural or portrait photographers to enjoy a medium once only used by commercial and assignment photographers.
    That's true about AI. But it's not photography. Maybe graphic arts.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Why, oh why has this devolved into yet another "what is art" ramble??
    Because posters invoke the meaningless word "art" in thread after thread, making useful discussion of anything dependent on an a common understanding of its meaning impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Well, that question has never been answered… has it?
    It's unanswerable.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    This message has been deleted by paulbarden.

Reason
    it's pointless
    Yup.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Hey… that’s really cool how you cited a deleted post; how did you do that?

He always manages to get in before the deletion. Quick draw Sal. LOL

People go on and on about art and artists. Calling oneself or being called an artist is not a validation of your work. There are plenty of bad artists creating bad art all the time. Just as there are many excellent artists who can’t get anyone to look at, much less buy or exhibit their work.

multiplex

That's true about AI. But it's not photography. Maybe graphic arts.
    no it is not photography the way you might be used to understanding it .. where each image is single indexed image ... as I said before it's thousands of indexed images reconfigured to make something new and it is photographic in nature. if someone wants to make themselves a collage they can. there really don't seem to be any rules other than enjoy oneself ... I was in touch with a company that wrote and markets an AI image making program ... they told me all the "ingredients" used by their program are licensed images made by a friend of the company, the resulting AI images are built by photographs ....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    He always manages to get in before the deletion. Quick draw Sal. LOL
    Much as I'd like to deserve admiration for some special skill or speed, the explanation is much simpler. I'd already quoted Paul. After answering Brian on the "Go Advanced" screen, I copied/pasted my first quote of Paul. Then I deleted what was first quoted and copied/pasted the text from his subsequent post deletion record inside his identifying information. Voilà.