Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: The AI thread

Re: What's going to become of photography?

From the realist's dictionary:

Art: anything anyone wants it to be.

Proving that "art" is a useless, meaningless word. Anyone can be an "artist." No one is an "artist." "Art" is everything. "Art" is nothing. There, now photographers here can use bandwidth discussing the "meaning of life." A thread that will be just as productive and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    HA! a lot of people claim they are fine art photographers, maybe not you but there are more fine art photographers with websites of their photographs than you can shake a stick at
    Those people are trying really hard (with words) to prove to you they are good. It’s like any other vacuous marketing crapola.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    A saxophonist is a musician. Only their agent and their mother think they're an artist.
    Anyone who creates is an artist. The question is, is the art any good, is the art worthwhile? Many who create are driven to do so to express themselves, to be able to leave behind something of themselves. As one of my art teachers said, "if you have any marketable skills, such as carpentry or even waiting tables, do that. The only reason to become an artist as a career is you cannot not create."

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Anyone who creates is an artist. The question is, is the art any good, is the art worthwhile? Many who create are driven to do so to express themselves, to be able to leave behind something of themselves. As one of my art teachers said, "if you have any marketable skills, such as carpentry or even waiting tables, do that. The only reason to become an artist as a career is you cannot not create."
    You're confirming my point that it's best to leave to the viewer or listener whether you're an artist or not. In any case, to call yourself an artist doesn't tell anyone what you do to be an artist. I think, photographer, sculptor, saxophonist, dancer, etc. is more descriptive. Calling oneself an artist is an ego trip and is rather self-congratulatory.

Drew Wiley

Hi John. I was referring to my personal experience. The Cafeteria staff wouldn't have put up with the out of control shenanigans that went on in the art classes in High School. The school darkroom was even worse.

You're confirming my point that it's best to leave to the viewer or listener whether you're an artist or not. In any case, to call yourself an artist doesn't tell anyone what you do to be an artist. I think, photographer, sculptor, saxophonist, dancer, etc. is more descriptive. Calling oneself an artist is an ego trip and is rather self-congratulatory.
    You give too much importance to the title of artist. It is not such a big deal. On the other side of the coin, look up "imposter syndrome."

Not Art

not artist

is inside us

more or less

on another site we examine

life itself

we already

dust in the wind
    Tin Can

Is calling oneself a human being or a member of society an ego trip? Once again, you seem to put a lot of importance on the title of "artist." It's not that big a deal. It would seem to me that you are harboring some sort of envy or yearning to earn the title. Artists are ordinary people, they have no halos or wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Is calling oneself a human being or a member of society an ego trip? Once again, you seem to put a lot of importance on the title of "artist." It's not that big a deal. It would seem to me that you are harboring some sort of envy or yearning to earn the title. Artists are ordinary people, they have no halos or wings.
    Let's see.

Alan Klein, Photographer
    Alan Klein, Artist

Yes, the second has a nice ring to it.

Paper prints maybe 500 years

DIGI far less

Stone sculpture reused

Books 451 F

Speech erodes

War
    Tin Can