Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set up for Packard shutter

Re: Set up for Packard shutter

The NOS from Packard is way better

You want the wood plug too

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I found the bulb sold by Packard to be more reliable in the amount of air and pressure, thus a more reliable shutter speed, and to also take a bit less hand strength.
    Tin Can

I post this as a very rare, all plastic and rubber 4X5 monorail

Very strong

I had one and sold it, my mistake

Calumet Cadet 4X5 Camera with...
    Tin Can

If you have trouble with squeezing and want to use very long hoses like TC then a vinyl tubing between the camera and the bulb will expand less under pressure and the pressure will not be dissipated.
    I agree the NOS Packard bulbs are superior but jim_jm's is excellent for lighter shutters. I have both.

altb

That may be one way to make it possible. Or I could just put the bulb on a table and use my elbow, like I do with other troublesome stuff.

That wouldn’t have much control though.

Well…
    Since I’ve never let this condition get in the way of anything , anyway, I’m just going to go for it and see what happens..

Consistent, smooth firing of the shutter tends to just takes some practice with the bulb and hose. If the shutter is in good condition, this will make things a lot easier as well.
    If the shutter needs cleaning or service this is also easy without any special tools. Both halves of the shutter housing are steel and can benefit from a good internal cleaning with steel wool if rust or corrosion are present. The blades may be steel or plastic, but usually just need a good wiping down. Any kinks in the shutter blades can easily be fixed. If corroded, the brass piston can be cleaned with steel wool and Brasso. To finish, I wipe everything with a rag and furniture polish before assembly. No oil or lubricant needed at all. I've managed to restore some seriously neglected shutters this way.

I have the ebay one. Pretty sure its the same bulb as this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H4VF9C7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Had I seen this before I would have just made a few by myself instead

Edit: actually i just saw a review, eh scratch that idea haha