Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Re: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    What do you consider "Extensive Movements"?

Most field camera users don't find they need all that much.

Let us know the minimum amount that is acceptable - will make matching you with a camera much easier.
    Exactly my point way back in message #4:

"Keep in mind that most people using field cameras don't need a lot of movement. If you think you do, figure out which movements and how much you need. Then find the cameras that offer it."

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Exactly my point way back in message #4:

"Keep in mind that most people using field cameras don't need a lot of movement. If you think you do, figure out which movements and how much you need. Then find the cameras that offer it."
    Point taken. Unfortunately, I can’t provide you guys with exact numbers as I’m just jumping into this again, so I don’t really know what I’ll need. my only point of comparison is my huge monorail Toyo that does nearly everything. Like I said initially, I’m interested in doing some selective/weird plane of focus stuff with this at least some of the time, and I also plan to take the camera hiking and doing some more traditional landscape stuff. It seemed safest
    to find a very light (under four lbs?) camera with as generally extensive movements as possible. But l guess I’m thinking lots of swing and tilt on the front standard for sure, and at least some of both on the rear. I used to like to place the plane of focus at weird angles sometimes. And then I’ll also be doing more traditional depth of field correction. I think I’ll have less use for rise, fall, and shift, though perhaps those would be nice to have sometimes. Maybe that clarifies slightly? It seemed like the Chamonix should do what I need it to do…

I started my large format journey with a Toyo monorail and went to a Wista 45DX for field work. I have never really run into the issue of lack of movements, for rise/fall you can always raise or lower the bed and adjust accordingly. The lack of gearing takes some getting used to but any decent field camera will be more than enough for almost everything.

Small town, South Carolina, US

The Toho (already mentioned), Gowland Pocket View (make sure it has the movements at the rear) will do everything you ask for.
    There is a 4x5 PortaVu with lenses on www.Photrio.com (AKA Apug.org) classifieds that will also work.
    All meet your requirements of weight and movements but are monorails.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    It seemed like the Chamonix should do what I need it to do…
    It very well might, but there are LOTS of Chamonix models and they vary quite a bit in their weight, movement, bellows extension, cost -- you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    Point taken. Unfortunately, I can’t provide you guys with exact numbers as I’m just jumping into this again, so I don’t really know what I’ll need. my only point of comparison is my huge monorail Toyo that does nearly everything. Like I said initially, I’m interested in doing some selective/weird plane of focus stuff with this at least some of the time, and I also plan to take the camera hiking and doing some more traditional landscape stuff. It seemed safest
    to find a very light (under four lbs?) camera with as generally extensive movements as possible. But l guess I’m thinking lots of swing and tilt on the front standard for sure, and at least some of both on the rear. I used to like to place the plane of focus at weird angles sometimes. And then I’ll also be doing more traditional depth of field correction. I think I’ll have less use for rise, fall, and shift, though perhaps those would be nice to have sometimes. Maybe that clarifies slightly? It seemed like the Chamonix should do what I need it to do
    You're probably looking at the 45F-2.
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45f2

Check the specs for this and their other models to see if the movements are enough for you. Email them if you have any questions.

Late to the party here.

I use wooden folding field cameras for just about everything now. My "field" kit consists of a Wista DX and lenses. My "city" kit is a Wista SW (basically a DX with interchangeable bellows). I use it for architectural shots in close quarters when working in cities. The wide-angle bellows on the SW allow me enough movements to vignette my Nikkor SW 90mm f/8 and my Wide Field Ektar 135mm lenses.

If I were to look at other wooden folders that would fit the bill, I'd certainly look seriously at the Chamonix models with the "universal" bellows.

Here's a photo of my SW twisted up a bit for a shot. Note I've used rise, additional rise with "point-and-tilt-parallel" as well as some shift and a bit of swing on both standards to get them parallel to the building façade. I'm right at the edge of coverage with the WF Ektar 135.

Best,

Doremus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WistaSW-XtremeMvmts-sm.jpg  

I've owned and used an early Cherrywood Toko for more years than I can remember. During this time I've had several other 4x5 wooden field cameras including a True Baby Deardorff. The only one I really liked as much as the Toko was the Baby. I probably would have kept it if I hadn't been offered several thousand $$. The Toko is still original and my go to 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You're probably looking at the 45F-2.
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45f2

Check the specs for this and their other models to see if the movements are enough for you. Email them if you have any questions.
    I think you’re right - KEH had a good deal on a 45f1, so I got it way cheaper than the 45f2, and it looks mostly equivalent.

Nice. It’s a shame those Tokos are so hard to find. I would have bought the one I mentioned early in the thread, but everything at that store seemed really expensive.