Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Hi all, I’m just getting back into shooting large format after quite a few years. I love my old Toyo 45c’s movements, but it’s far too heavy and bulky to take hiking, so I’m looking at getting a wooden field camera. Any recommendation for a lightweight one with extensive movements? So far I’m looking at the Tachihara 4x5 and the Toko Nikki ii, both of which come in around 3.5lbs. Does the Toko have better movement range? The Tachihara is far less expensive, but I could stretch for the Toko if necessary. Any other cameras I should be looking at? Thanks for the help!

Re: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    Does the Toko have better movement range?
    YES!!!

How did you hear about the TOKOs. Most people think you mean TOYO.

http://www.subclub.org/toko/

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    YES!!!

How did you hear about the TOKOs. Most people think you mean TOYO.

http://www.subclub.org/toko/
    I just came across some info on them while searching online. I do gather they’re pretty rare, but there is one available locally. I’m just debating whether the price difference is worth as it’s almost twice the cost of a Tachihara, and I haven’t used either one. I used to like to do stuff with weird planes of focus and throwing backgrounds out of focus, so it would be nice to have extensive movements. It’s a big difference between the Tachihara and Toko, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    It’s a big difference between the Tachihara and Toko, huh?
    Check out that website.

TOKOs usually sell for less than other wooden field cameras -- not more. That's simply because fewer people know about them. They are not rare, by any means, but they are harder to find because people who have them won't let them go!

Tachiharas & Wistas have ridiculous asking prices nowadays, and I'd never pay that much -- let alone for a TOKO, even though it's better.

Keep in mind that most people using field cameras don't need a lot of movement. If you think you do, figure out which movements and how much you need. Then find the cameras that offer it.

Keep in mind that the Wistas and Tachiharas, etc. came in different versions that had different movements -- complicating things.

The TOKOs came in two versions -- 12" or 14" bellows (with 2" extra of rear extension). The movements are the same on both, and of course the weight is different. The 14" (360mm) version seems to be a lot more common.

I use a Wista DX in rosewood that has rear shift and swing. It’s fairly lightweight and fits well into a backpack. Although I like it, I don’t absolutely love it. Not surprisingly, it doesn’t have the precise feel of my Linhof 5x7 or my monorail camera. I like to use a loupe on the ground glass, and when you want to tilt the front or back while using a loupe, it’s a bit tricky. It’s like you need a third hand. But it’s doable.

Yes, there are Tachiharas and Tachiharas. I have only one, a 4x5. It has no shift, and the front swing is a bit limited. IT can be expanded, of course, by panning the camera a bit. Mine also has no detents on the front board, which means I need to be careful when the bellows are out a ways, if the lens is not on horizontal axis. For me, this is rarely an issue, as long as I'm reasonably careful, because the portraits I shoot don't require much bellwo extension with the lenses I have. The may be considerations for you, which is why I list them. I found my camera here on the forum for under $500 and have put several hundred into repairs and a new bellows. It's lightweight and suits me fine.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thanks everyone. I’m really starting over here after shooting 4x5 in college like 20 years ago, so this is all good info.

The Toko is about $1300, which is more than I wanted to spend, but it’s local and comes with a return policy vs getting a Tachichara on eBay for $800-900. Looks like the Toko has rear standard focusing in addition to the better movements. I’m leaning toward picking it up as I can’t find a single other one out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Yes, there are Tachiharas and Tachiharas. I have only one, a 4x5. It has no shift, and the front swing is a bit limited. IT can be expanded, of course, by panning the camera a bit. Mine also has no detents on the front board, which means I need to be careful when the bellows are out a ways, if the lens is not on horizontal axis. For me, this is rarely an issue, as long as I'm reasonably careful, because the portraits I shoot don't require much bellwo extension with the lenses I have. The may be considerations for you, which is why I list them. I found my camera here on the forum for under $500 and have put several hundred into repairs and a new bellows. It's lightweight and suits me fine.
    Thanks, which model do you have? I think I’d definitely prefer more movement flexiblity, particularly the front swing.

The Chamonix 45N has served me well. It’s about 3.25 pounds. It’s a camera I would buy again if I were to lose it somehow.