Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Mount Tissue

Dry Mount Tissue

Hi all.
    I was using Dry-Lam tissue for years, but unfortunately my usual suppliers do not stock it anymore for some reason.
    So, I am looking for alternative brands ( sheets, not rolls ) and interested in your experience / opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Dry Mount Tissue

Good question. I have a bunch of Seal/Bienfang Buffermount and Colormount which will last me a long time but I don’t think they are available anymore. Not sure what the current alternatives are. Buffermount was supposedly preferable to Colormount because it was removable, but I always found it harder to use because it bonded as it cooled. John Sexton recommended Colormount at the time so I started using that, but kept the Buffermount in case. When I first started out I used Kodak dry mount tissue.

Curious to know what products have replaced these (if any).

I use Drytac. TR42300 3mil premium dry mounting tissue. I am assuming you can get this product in spain

Thanks Bob, but I can't see it in sheets, rolls only...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I have a bunch of Seal/Bienfang Buffermount and Colormount which will last me a long time but I don’t think they are available anymore.
    Let's not get people's blood pressure up any higher. Even with people going digital, they still need to dry-mount prints. Seal Colormount seems to be available everywhere. It's not always been in the cut sizes I wanted, but that's why I have some big long rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Iga View Post
    Thanks Bob, but I can't see it in sheets, rolls only...
    Thats how I buy it and cut it down

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Let's not get people's blood pressure up any higher. Even with people going digital, they still need to dry-mount prints. Seal Colormount seems to be available everywhere. It's not always been in the cut sizes I wanted, but that's why I have some big long rolls.
    Everywhere as in where, for example?

Do or do not. There is no try.

I was looking for 11x14 tissue last year and couldn’t find it. I succeeded in in tracking down the current manufacturer of what used to be Seal Colormount and they told me they were no longer cutting sheets. I ended up buying a 24”-wide roll that will serve any size I’m likely to print. Yes, it’s a pain, but it beats having no tissue at all.

Drew Wiley

Seal products became DK, and Colormount etc mfg was shifted to China, and it has apparently since largely disappeared. An excellent substitute is Drytac Trimount, a US product. But it too has run out in most sizes over the past winter, but should show up in decent volume again soon. I need quite a bit of it myself, before I fully run out either my sheets of that, or my big old roll of Colormount. I just checked, and B&H in NYC has just gotten 16X20 sheets of Trimount back in stock; so I'll be ordering that in the next few days. I don't know about EU distribution.

Drymounting is still the standard method of mounting fiber-based prints, and has other standard applications too; so the demand for drymount tissue is still quite high. New drymount presses have gotten awfully expensive; but they last a long time.

Buffermount, intended to be removable if needed, is not as strong or reliable as slightly higher temp Colormount or Trimount. Trimount seems to need a little bit more "dwell time" in the press than Colormount, but otherwise, it's very straightforward switching from one product to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Everywhere as in where, for example?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=seal...bih=1354&dpr=1