Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 Film Holders

Re: 4x5 Film Holders

Probably get one of Chamonix wooded lens boards if any are available when the time comes and the rest plastic. What would be really cool is if they would include a wood film holder with every camera. Would pay a little extra if they did.

To my knowledge Toyo makes the best new 4x5 plastic holders (with metal septums, which reduce the potential for light leaks), and Chamonix makes the best lightweight holders. Some years ago I bought some very nice new Toyo 4x5 holders from Kumar (posts on this forum as B.S. Kumar) who sources the holders directly in Japan. If you wish to investigate this I suggest you PM him for a quote.

For the OP, (and anyone else looking for them) the current pricing for new Toyo 4x5 film holders is 10.800 JPY per twin pack. 8x10 film holders are 15,930 JPY each. Shipping is additional, and depends on your location and the number of holders you order. Do note that film holders are made in batches, and there can be occasional delays.

Kumar

Re: Film Holders Source

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Toyo holders are highly recommended.
    Agree, I have only Toyo holders and no problems for 25 years.

keep an eye on the classifieds!

used is not bad at all. there are good deals on them for about $7-$12 each. i bought many assorted brands and out of 100, i have about 5 bad ones in the past 20 years of using them.

ask if the hinge is in good shape and stipulate a return if they have light leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Getting back into 4x5 photography and would like to know whether I should buy new or used, brand and source.
    On the waiting list for a Chamonix 45F2 and can’t wait to get started again.
    I like used with history (avoid wood holders) many good deals available. How long is the waiting list for the Chamonix? for about $500 you could buy vintage set up with holders and start tomorrow. Just a thought. then again my cameras date from 1880 to late 1970's
    When your new stuff is delivered you will have a back up for poor weather shooting

One brand I don't see mentioned anywhere here is Studio Pro. These holders pop up now and again. I stupidly sold some of the ones I had and wish I had 'em back. They are constructed almost identically to the Toyo film holders, with the riveted bodies and metal cores. But they have brushed aluminum dark slides. One of the things I discovered by accident is that the Toyo and Studio Pro dark slides are interchangeable. Perhaps made in the same facility? Who knows? I sure don't. But those and Toyo are the only film holders I'm currently using. I still have a few Fidelities and Liscoes that once I empty them, I'll probably sell them. Or not. Doesn't everybody need 48 4x5 film holders?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Started off with the usual Fidelity/Lisco/Riteway. Fav holders now are the Riteway with the locking dark slides. Camera rib lock presses down on a button which frees the slide. They also have number wheels on the flap end (great for coding holders). I think I removed the numbers on some of the holders though cuz I wanted a cleaner looking negative. ymmv
    notch codes ? I only use one film...