Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film from China?

Film from China?

I'm not certain this is the right forum. Anyway, curiosity only: I just wonder if anyone knows anything about Chinese B&W film and its availability. It's a giant economy, up and coming middle class, and there must be a huge number of B&W film photographers, even if small by percentage, as elsewhere. India is somewhat similar but has much further to go in eliminating poverty. They surely don't all shoot Ilford or Kodak, and Fuji has been on the decline. I expect there are a number of possibly rather old film manufacturers, particularly in China. Anyone know?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Film from China?

"Shanghai"-branded B&W film is commonly available in a range of formats. Lots of discussion on the various forums where there is talk about film.

Maybe 20-30 years go, Sterling brand B&W paper, made in India, was readily available here. I always kept some of the RC on hand - don't recall if they had an FB version - as it had an unusually extreme characteristic curve with a very long shoulder, that was useful for dealing with the occasional problem negative. IIRC the factory burned down and that was the end of it.

Lots of discussion on Photrio (formerly APUG) of the 220 Shanghai in particular as it is, as far as I know, the only film available in 220 now. Lots of reports of QC problems, unfortunately. Seems a decent film when it’s not defective.

I have used Shanghai GP3 on 4x5. It’s quite good, and inexpensive where I live. Though some reports are that the film is inconsistent, but I understand they have solved most of the issues with the new factory…apparently from circa 2020.

A box of 25 is about USD 30. The film substrate is a bit thinner and more flimsy than Ilford or Fuji (expired Acros), but fine in my Stearman SP-445 tank.
    Last edited by pchong; 8-Apr-2023 at 05:09.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

I've used the GP3, not extensively, but I've found it to be fine. Most of what I've shot with it is 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Lots of discussion on Photrio (formerly APUG) of the 220 Shanghai in particular as it is, as far as I know, the only film available in 220 now. Lots of reports of QC problems, unfortunately. Seems a decent film when it’s not defective.
    Oh wow, had no idea they were making 220, that's awesome!

I stocked up with 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 Chinese film a few years ago

I like it fine and love the format as the cameras are in better condition

and much lighter
    Tin Can

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've shot the GP-3 film in 14x17 and it is just fine. No defects or problems.

220 Shanghai twenty rolls. by Nokton48, on Flickr

Firstly I purchased four rolls and liked the results. So I ordered and got another twenty rolls, to give it a good go. So far only one roll has jammed at about frame 19, I reloaded the roll in the camera, and was able to force it through and finish it. I do like this film! So a month ago I ordered another twenty rolls, and recently asked for status. Due to Shanghai closing down during covid, long delays possible. I asked for a refund and got within ten minutes to the seller's credit. Unfortunate situation

Shanghai 220 Low Key Valentine Roses C22 105DS D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing Shanghai 220 in D23. Mamiya C22 105DS lens Broncolor 80x80cm Softbox Modeling Light Only Silver Fill Panel just off camera right. My old low key OMNI Muslin Background it's beeg 10x20 feet. Happy to use it again. Omega DII Omegalite laser aligned Arista RC #2 paper in Multigrade dev

Testing Shanghai 220 Wedding Flash Mamiya C22 105DS by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mamiya C22 freshly overhauled 105DS lens, testing Shanghai 220 film processed in D23. Wedding Flash 283 direct flash with mini softbox. Omega DII Omegalite head laser alligned Arista 8x10 RC #2 Multigrade dev
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I prefer C1 as it has more tin cans

Not kidding, I can see the original Tin Can paint

I have all models of the Mamiya TLR

I dislike 220
    Tin Can