Thread: Any experience with Chamonix 45H1 and 5x7 or 4x10 backs?

Any experience with Chamonix 45H1 and 5x7 or 4x10 backs?

Hi together,

I´m an owner of a Chamonix 45H1 and Intrepid 5x7 camera. I was thinking about adding the 5x7 back to the Chamonix to give me a technically more advanced and reliable system and leave the Intrepid aside or as a backup. I´m currently using the Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5, Apo Sironar W 150mm and Apo Sironar S 210mm. Soon I will add a 300mm lens to complete the set for my purposes (mostly landscape).

I know about the "horizontal only" configuration of the Chamonix 5x7 back, but I don´t see it too problematic doing portraiture perspective by the ballhead on the tripod. Any other restrictions or any positive aspects?

A totally different strategy would be to add the 4x10 back. I really like the image ratio, but I´m in parallel a bit hesitant as I most likely would need a different set of lenses.

Any feedback from users/owners of these backs would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Any experience with Chamonix 45H1 and 5x7 or 4x10 backs?

I have the Chamonix 4x10 but the normal camera, not by adapting the back from 5x7. I think you need to ask yourself the question in reverse— what do you want to be shooting? If you want 4x10 then you should get that and then your lens collection will eventually grow to cover it. The good news is that your 210mm lens will already cover the format so you don’t need to buy more to get started.

Since you already have an intrepid 5x7 I personally don’t see the value of another 5x7. Meaning the 4x10 would be more enabling. But only if you want to be shooting 4x10.

Photographer

I have an H1 with 4x5, 5x7 and 4x10 backs. It’s a good camera as all Chams are. I bought it to make an all purpose to traveling with three formats. I actually only use 5x7 and 4x10. The horizontal only aspect for 5x7 is very frustrating. I’ve used it in vertical mode, but the movements are screwed up. I would suggest getting a dedicated Cham 5x7 if that is the format you prefer.
    Keith Pitman

Small town, South Carolina, US

If you plan to contact print the 4x10 negatives then the back may be justified.
    On the other hand, if you plan to make enlargements it seems that it would be difficult to see the difference in a cropped 5x7 (2.8x7) negative which has been enlarged and a 4x10 enlarged print.

Going to 4x10 requires more money for the additional back and holders plus keeping up with a stock of larger film.

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I have an H1 with 4x5, 5x7 and 4x10 backs. It’s a good camera as all Chams are. I bought it to make an all purpose to traveling with three formats. I actually only use 5x7 and 4x10. The horizontal only aspect for 5x7 is very frustrating. I’ve used it in vertical mode, but the movements are screwed up. I would suggest getting a dedicated Cham 5x7 if that is the format you prefer.
    Keith, what do you mean with “the movements screwed up”? Is it not possible to rotate it via the ball head and use it in vertical orientation?