Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New to Me 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar

Re: New to Me 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    It's been a long time since I sold my 1000mm Apo-Ronar, so I don't remember the flange size needed. Most of these lenses used standardized flanges with threads of 90mm, 100mm, or 110mm that translate across Apo-Ronar and Apo-Nikkor offerings.
    Thanks for that Tracey! That's helpful information.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    It's been a long time since I sold my 1000mm Apo-Ronar, so I don't remember the flange size needed. Most of these lenses used standardized flanges with threads of 90mm, 100mm, or 110mm that translate across Apo-Ronar and Apo-Nikkor offerings.
    That was one of the attractions of purchasing a 760mm f1:11 Apo-Nikkor without a flange relatively cheap ("relatively" being a relative term...). It shares the flange and lensboard with my 600mm Apo-Ronar CL.

The literature on both gave the flange threads specs and they matched, so made the purchase.

I have a 760mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar, it was offered to me for $200 from Jim Andraki at Midwest Photo, back when they were on High Street. Great lens! I had several boards with flanges (including one with top hat with proper spacing!) in my lens board box. The 760mm interchanges with my 600mm F9 Apo Ronar, I remember that, also Glenn forward mounted the 600mm for me. An aluminum machined "donut" was enough to get it properly forward of the shutter. The 1000mm measures 118mm outside diameter so it's a beeg flange. And the front ring will be totally custom to fit a Norma board. So the lens and two Norma boards with big holes will go to SK Grimes for assembly. When I can afford it

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Well, my "relatively cheap" 760/11 Apo Nikkor couldn't have gotten any relatively cheaper. Got it free, along with a 240, 305, and 450, likewise free. In fact, the whole monster process camera was free. But I kept only the lenses and pin-registered 30X40 vacuum easel. With the exception of the 760, I use these in the lab for enlarging and duplication purposes, along with a 360/9, which I did purchase. And again, with the exception of the 760, I have Sinar lensboards for these, so could hypothetically shoot with them if I wanted to. They're optically incredible; but I have more portable already in-shutter equivalents.

1000mm F16 Apo Ronar4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I do have several stock flanges that fit the 600mm Apo Ronar as well as the 760mm F14. But not big enough to fit the rear of the 1000mm F16 Apo Ronar. So I will go to SK Grimes for front and back flanges. Their price is very fair for what it is

― Mark Twain

30 inch and 40 inch Rodenstock Apo Ronars by Nokton48, on Flickr

On the right, my 30 inch 760mm F14 Rodenstock Apo Ronar which I have owned for decades, great for 8x10 product photography. I have a Norma forward mounted lensboard in my Norma Lensboard box which fits it precisely. My new addition left, is the 40 inch 1000mm F16 Rodenstock Apo Ronar, this is the exact lens type shown in Reinhart Wolfe's book "Castles in Spain" which I have owned for decades. Also his book "Villas of the Venito" and the famous book "New York" I have several copies. Mr. Wolfe exhibited in 1975 (I believe) at Photokina in Germany. So his gigantic mural sized color photos were seen by multitudes of Photokina visitors at the time. Rebuilding this very camera is a fun unique project. The new lens came from a dealer in the UK at a good price. I will be contacting SK Grimes to build front and rear lens flanges, which I will attach to original Norma boards precisely. I wish to use the lens for 8x10 B&W telescopic photography. Wolfe photographed local Architecture in the Deep South USA which I think are the most beautiful myself.

― Mark Twain

Those are some big ones! The longest lens I have is a 600mm APO Nikkor. Even it's a bit of a pain to use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You WIN

My 900mm Jena is frightened

I seldom shoot it as it needs a lot of bellowing
    Tin Can

― Mark Twain

I know of him