Thread: LF Workshops in Australia

LF Workshops in Australia

G'day all. I am new to LF and based in Brisbane Australia. Can anyone advise of LF workshops or teachers/mentors in Australia. Looking to iron out a few bugs and make sure I am doing things in the best way.

Thanks in advance

Craig,

Why don't you consider posting some of your questions on this forum? There are some really knowledgeable folks here and they're more than happy to help out.

Besides, I'm sure if the questions are puzzling to you... there's probably others who may also be puzzled by the same questions. So, the answer may also help them out too.

Lastly, I know there are a couple of Aussies that regularly post here so, hopefully, one of them will reply to your posting.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Michael Hewson

Craig - G'day - I'm in Brisbane (Ferny Grove) - but self taught (apart from this excellent forum ... and a few good books).
    www.dovenetq.net.au /~mghewson.
    Happy to yarn 07 3851 0637.

regards

Craig,

There are two places to do workshops that I know of. David Roberts is running one at Gold Street Studios (now relocated to Trentham, central Victoria but trading under the same name) in late May. Check out www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/. The other place, a little closer to where you are, is Black Mountain photo workshops www.blackmountainphoto.com.au/ in the Blue Mountains taken by Gordon Undy.

I did David's workshop last year and learnt a heap that has sent me on my merry way to 8x10 land (also known as penury.) I'd love to do some of Gordon's workshops but feel the need for a bit more experience (read errors) under my belt first. No idea whether there's anyone in Queensland doing similar.

Enjoy.

Richard White does courses as well. Rumour has it they're good, but only if you're totally film centric as his digital phobia is legendary.

He gives the courses in the Victorian High Country and it a very good shooter and printer.

If you google him he's easy to find.

G'Day Craig. I'm on the Deep South of W.A ( Albany ). There are a couple of LF work shoppers out there, mainly based in the E.S but joining in or lurking in the cyberspace corridors of this and other forums is invaluable. Richard White is co-hosting a workshop in Tassie next year with Bruce Barnbaum from the U.S. and whose work I admire greatly. I'll be there and the workshop apparently is filling, so get in now.
    Mike

Thanks for the responses. Mike I have taken your advice and am booking the Tasmania workshop for next year. Now any suggestions about how I tell the Chief Financial Officer?

O.K. Craig, just tell the CFO that it is cheaper to do the workshop in Tassie as opposed to the U.S. and so you are in fact saving money. Well.........it almost worked for me.
    Mike

Re: LF Workshops in Australia

Craig,
    I used to run large format workshops under the Zone VIII banner here at Sunshine Beach in Noosa Heads. In recent years the workshops have been in abeyance since there are just so many photographs to make. Noosa Heads is the eastern Australian equivalent (or darn close) of Point Lobos in California and our large format cameras, 8x10's and 4x5's have plenty of work and play to do!

Large format photography is a high stakes game and mistakes are expensive and heartbreaking. Starting up and learning by trial and error is tough. If I can help I will.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".