Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 90 XL: User Assessments Appreciated

Beverly Hills, California

Schneider 90 XL: User Assessments Appreciated

In a recent thread I asked for input on selecting a few lenses for architecture. Many professionals and near professionals took the time to contribute. I came to a conclusion to get only one lens for the foreseeable future - another 90mm to replace the Nikkor SW 90 f8 that I decidied to sell. The Nikkor 90 f8 was RAZOR sharp and in some ways hope to get another, (but brighter) lens that's just as sharp - although I know this may not be possible seeing for myself just HOW SHARP the Nikkor 90 f8 is.

Initially I decided to go with a bright Rodenstock 90 f4.5. But upon extensive research on this site and Photonet, I decided to seriously look into a Schneider 90 XL instead because of hints that the 90 XL outperforms the Rodenstock Grandagon 90 f4.5 and that the schneider too is a very sharp lens in comparison to the Nikkor. (It is a nice bonus that the 90 XL will cover 5x7 a tad better as well.)

I am familiar with it's drawbacks, including it's huge size and potentially more fragile physical constitution, etc.

Nevertheless, I would like to hear from experienced users of the Schneider 90 XL just how you would rate it's optical performance in terms of it's resolution capability (sharpness) and performance across the entire image circle in terms of sharpness and light fall off , particularly in relation to your other LF lenses such as the renowned Nikkor 90 SW f8 or the Schneider 110 XL.

Thanks in advance for any (hopefully experienced) input.

Geos

I use the 90XL with the 4x10 format. I shoot only Tmax 100 with this setup. Sometimes I see falloff, sometimes not. I haven't used the dedicated center filter with it, and don't really see a need when shooting B&W film. Resolution has always been very good. I have no complaints and would recommend it.

When did Schneider start making a 90 XL? I know of the 80XL and the 110XL but I didn't realize they made a 90XL.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Beverly Hills, California

Brian, it came out before those.

The 90 XL is a Super Angulon design and is considerably bulkier than the Super Symmar design of the 80, 110 and 150 lenses. Its coverage is exelllent if you don't mind the size of the lens.

Sincerely,

Hany.

I had one of these for a while and it was fantastic. No regrets and absolutely no issues with image quality. A pleasure to shoot with, my only practical complaint was the need for a special filter holder from Lee to use filters with it, and that was only a complaint because I had to special-order it. Yeah, it's big, but it's very, very nice.

Daniel Geiger

I've only had two 90s: the Schneider superangulon f/8 and the XL. upgraded to get better image circle for more movements on 4x5, and it sure delivers. As I shoot chromes, I also got the center filter for it, and it is dead on with the gradation, with a loss of 3 f-stops. As any lens, it does get softer towards the edge, but not objectionably, and it will allow more movement before the effects become apparent.

Yep, it's big, its heavy, it uses a special Lee adapter, but the results are nice. Also in terms of movements, if the XL can't do it, no other lens will either. Gives you peace of mind.

When did Schneider start making a 90 XL? I know of the 80XL and the 110XL but I didn't realize they made a 90XL.
    --Brian Ellis 2006-04-29 23:27 PDT

I meant my response only as a reply to Brian Ellis' question. I did not mean to imply any critique of the lens, which BTW I have never used. I do have a 110 XL and a 90 f6.8 Caltar (relabelled Grandagon).

Sincerely,

Hany.

It's a Super-Angulon XL 5.6/90mm not the Super Symmar XL - which is what the 80mm and110mm lenses are
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog