Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellows creep into frame on Horseman 45FA when using 120mm lens – repair or replace?

Bellows creep into frame on Horseman 45FA when using 120mm lens – repair or replace?

I recently bought a 120mm Super Topcor lens for my Horseman FA. Until then, I had been using a 180mm lens inherited from my old Arca.

With the 120mm lens focused to infinity, the bottom of the bellows enters either the bottom or top of the frame. This is visible on both the ground glass and on negatives.
    The bellows leave the frame as they are extended beyond the infinity focus point. Whether the bellows enter the top of the frame isn't consistent.

The issue isn't present when using the 180mm lens, presumably because the bellows are extended further – even at the infinity focus point.

I can correct for this error using movements, but it's not an ideal solution.

A few questions:

• For the avoidance of doubt, I assume I'm not missing something fundamentally obvious with this lens? Are bag bellows required for this lens as it is relatively wide? I can't imagine that's the case but thought I should check
    • Assuming it is an issue with degraded bellows, can anyone share a good resource outlining bellows refurbishment? The bellows are in mostly good condition bar a few very small pinpricks at the folds. I have repaired leaky bellows successfully but have never embarked on 'structural' refurbishment
    • If the bellows are deemed beyond repair, does anyone have any experience or feedback on bellows sold by either 'jameshurleygroup' or the various Chinese vendors on eBay?
    • Finally, any guidance or tutorials on how to replace bellows on a Horseman field camera would be helpful. I'm sure I could work it out but it's always nice to learn from the mistakes made by others!

I have included a screengrab of the issue from a rough scan. Please ignore the light leaks – those were caused by leaky arms on a cheap changing bag!

The image of the rear of the camera shows the bellows when folded/stored.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Bellows creep into frame on Horseman 45FA when using 120mm lens – repair or repla

Horseman bellows are 'perky' when new and do not slump until very used

no advise on tiny bellows
    Tin Can

Re: Bellows creep into frame on Horseman 45FA when using 120mm lens – repair or repla

Is this a bellows sag issue?

Have you tried putting something under the bellows to keep them up and not sag into the picture?

My ULF Korona 8x20 Panoramic View has clips on the front standard where the bellows folds could be gathered with small straps glued to the intermediate points on the bellows. There were loops on the end of those straps that went on the front standard clip.

Bear in mind that camera can accommodate 32" of bellows, so when focusing a 14" / 355mm WA lens at infinity, need somewhere for the additional bellows to park and stay out of the way.

Not certain if this is your problem and whether it might work.

There is something wrong with the bottom of your bellows.

I'm guessing some of the folds are sticking together near the back. When you extend the lens to infinity with your 120, there isn't enough "pull" to separate the sticky folds. It's probably the outside surface that is sticky. I'd extend the bellows as far as possible, and see if you can reach in with a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Usually Horseman belows are damaged by fingers

Then they don't fold anymore and it gets worse
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    There is something wrong with the bottom of your bellows.
    I assume you're referring to the bulge in the folds? The photo slightly exaggerates this but, yes, I suspect the previous owner squashed the bellows up when folding the camera down (or, perhaps, they're just old!).

As per the OP, any advice on whether the bellows can be refurbished to bring them back to their 'perky' shape would be greatly appreciated.

Small town, South Carolina, US

If you pull the front standard out to where it would be when using your 120 lens does the bellows at the back (next to the rear standard) remain compressed?

If it doesn't it is possible that the inner and outer layers of the bellows have separated.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    If you pull the front standard out to where it would be when using your 120 lens does the bellows at the back (next to the rear standard) remain compressed?

If it doesn't it is possible that the inner and outer layers of the bellows have separated.
    They do remain compressed, though misshapen.

On closer inspection, I can see the bellows have shifted slightly where they are glued to the rear standard. They do not sit square and this may be contributing to the uneven fold when compressed.

Given I would have to remove the bellows anyway if I decide to replace them, I may try reconditioning them off of the camera and re-glueing in place. This would be a cheap and (relatively) low-risk solution to my problem.

I used to have a Horseman FA and found that with wider lenses I needed to pull the bellows forward to make sure they were not compressed inside the camera body or I had problems like yours—it quickly became second nature to do this and I considered this a quirk in an otherwise lovely camera. I also replaced the bellows for an unrelated issue and used one from ecbuyonline on ebay. It worked out very well. I had first talked to Camera Bellows in the UK, but they cannot make the proper bellows for this camera.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/