Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copal "electric" or "electronic" battery-powered shutters

Copal "electric" or "electronic" battery-powered shutters

These seem to be hard to find...does anyone know where I could find one (or two).. In Copal 0 and/or Copal 1 sizes? Thanks and any information on these shutters would be welcomed.

Re: Copal "electric" or "electronic" battery-powered shutters

I've never seen a Copal 0 electronic shutter. I'm not sure they exist, unless you are talking about the ones that had to be used with an external control unit. I have both a Copal 1 and Compur 1 Electronics shutters, they are very nice. The best way to find them is really to buy them with a common (read: cheaper) lenses honestly. They don't come up on their own very often on Ebay or KEH etc.

Fuji offered their Fujinon W 180mm, 210mm & 250mm with an optional Copal electronic shutter. They were all #1 -- and hard to find.

Looks like fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1981 Popular Photography July 1981 Pro Gear at 81’ PMA  copy.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	235998

Drew Wiley

There was a whole series of them for process lenses, especially Nikkors. You just have to research the correct application - the graphics industry. A lot of them were made. I have one stashed away somewhere, on an enormous lens disc. And believe me, it ain't a no. 1 shutter; easily handled the diameter of a 760mm lens. I suppose the solenoid trigger mechanism would be easy to cannibalize and adapt to a smaller shutter, however. Never tried.

Drew is referring to Copal DS shutters, which are more like Packard shutters in a round housing and run by solenoids. Copal also made #1 and #3 shutters that had full range of speeds (up to 8s IIRC on the #3) and had a goofy battery holder sticking out the bottom and a connection that looked like an old bi-post sync. connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There was a whole series of them for process lenses, especially Nikkors. You just have to research the correct application - the graphics industry. A lot of them were made. I have one stashed away somewhere, on an enormous lens disc. And believe me, it ain't a no. 1 shutter; easily handled the diameter of a 760mm lens. I suppose the solenoid trigger mechanism would be easy to cannibalize and adapt to a smaller shutter, however. Never tried.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Drew Wiley

Yep. I should dig it up and see if I can adapt it to the rear of a Sinar board. But its way way back somewhere on a high storage loft I'm not in a mood to get to anytime soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji180wf56e1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	236007

The only size 0 shutters I have seen are ones with external control boxes. I have a Prontor Magnetic in size 0 which has a cable attached with a connector on the end and a couple of Compur Electronic size 0 which look like a miniature version of the 5s but have solder terminals on the size instead of a socket. FWIW I have only seen the Copal in Size 1. I like the Compur Electronics in 1 and 3 but I have had a lot of trouble getting a 5s that works properly which is a shame as that would be a really useful size.

That's the one!