Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Re-assessing my (un)sharpest lenses

Re: Re-assessing my (un)sharpest lenses

If anybody is truly interested,, each picture can be opened in a new tab and it will fill the screen, for comparison of hat texture, hair resolution halo etc.

Thank you!

I was unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    If anybody is truly interested,, each picture can be opened in a new tab and it will fill the screen, for comparison of hat texture, hair resolution halo etc.
    Tin Can

Thank you for the wonderful comparison. There is a lot to be learned from this. A whole unknown area!

cowanw also has at least one real print book

I bought one
    Tin Can

I really like portraiture and being able to choose the right lens for the subject is something that suits my nature.
    I remember doing a portrait of a ninety year old man once and really liking the photograph of his lined craggy face. His wife, however, despite looking at his face for 60 years, said "oh whatever happened to the young man I am married to". She had never seen the wrinkles until they were in a picture.
    I am not sure there is a lesson here, but I tend to rate my lenses as youth to age and reality to flattering.
    Thanks to everybody who has looked.

Ever since the beginning of photography the aesthetic of the daguerreotype has competed for our attention with the aesthetic of the calotype. While each era of technology is of its time, the aesthetics of imagery has cycled over and over. There is much to be learned from the study of the history of photography.
    While my favorite time period is the first 40 years of the Twentieth Century, I am currently much enamored by the indexicality of early daguerreotypes, a time when lighting, posing, and expression of individuality was in such a flux of discovery.
    I have been thinking of a second book. Instead of the usual advice to look to paintings by old masters for examples of lighting of portraiture, rather to look at the first ten years of photographic imagery where one can find most examples of most any lighting scheme done since.

A much needed and well executed comparison of some of the great softies. Kudos.

Very kind of you. Thank You.
    I am talking to a photographer in Switzerland who has a copy of the Komuranon-SF Soft Focus 300mm f/5.6 Lens and he has a web site from the past which identifies a third and possibly fourth copy. Based on serial numbers we think there may be at least 9 made.
    So far I am very impressed with the images from this which are very comparable to my Pinkham and Smith lenses. I will have to do an F-stop series comparison, perhaps with a more attractive model, and report back.