Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULF film holder protection

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

ULF film holder protection

I have to admit I usually carry my 24x30cm (about 9.5x12") plate holders in a plastic bag from the local supermarket. Same with my one single 30x40cm (12x16") holder...

To me, it's just a matter of transportation. The cameras are heavy and cumbersome enough to keep me close to the car.

Re: ULF film holder protection

I highly suggest getting in contact with Kevin Saitta with Saitta Bags and he custom makes film bags to fit your needs. He can make the perfect 7x17 holder bag to hold how every many holder you wish.

I use his bags for my 8x10 and 11x14, along with his lens bags and darkcloths. All are VERY high quality and well made. When your paying over 300 bucks for a holder, and you have a few of them...paying 100 bucks for a well made bag is worth it!

http://www.kjsphotography.com/produc...5ae19dddeb14f5

Ryan McIntosh

I don't use anything bigger than my Toyo 810M, but I have discovered that Eddie Bauer had a sport bag that was the perfect dimensions to hold 6 film holders loosely and 7 if I want to cram them in. There are two side pockets that are the perfect dimensions for the 6" lensboards for the Toyo, even wrapped in the lenswraps I use. A front pouch holds six filters and a zip pocket on the lid has room for synch cords and cable releases. I love the thing. It cost me forty five bucks at Target.

One other thing that I found was that by storing the film holders in 3M antistatic ziplock bags, my dust problems have diminished greatly. I got those on Ebay, but I'm sure if you wanted some, they'd be pretty easy to find online.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves
    One other thing that I found was that by storing the film holders in 3M antistatic ziplock bags, my dust problems have diminished greatly. I got those on Ebay, but I'm sure if you wanted some, they'd be pretty easy to find online.
    I had been putting two 8x10 holders in a large zip lock, then 8 or 10 in a light weight LL Bean backpack. For long trips I carry a second batch in a cheap bag from Wal-Mart. One day in the darkroom loading film holders I got the idea of substituting the black plastic bags that hold print paper for the zip locks. Now I have dust protection and a light seal.

My 7x17 arrives tomorrow with three film holders. I plan to use the black plastic wrap from 16x20 print paper. My wife has volunteered to sew a new film holder bag for them based on a used one that will be coming with the holders.

John Powers
    Last edited by John Powers; 16-May-2006 at 17:55.