Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo lift questions

Jobo lift questions

I have a couple of questions about using a Jobo with a lift. First I get some “backwash” out the drain tube when pouring chemicals into the lift. Is is there any trick to doing this - go fast, go slow?

I have been starting my timer after I pour the chemicals down the lift and then immediately dump when the timer sounds. Any views on this method? I usually process only B&W so I don’t think it matters alm that much, I guess as long as I am consistent I’ll be good, but welcome opinions.

Thx!

Re: Jobo lift questions

There's a plastic cover that wears off over time. It's some sort of splash guard that stops whatever you pour from going down the drain. I had to open my lift, remove it and add something a bit longer. It's glued with some hot glue or something similar. It's an easy repair. Mine was very old and falling apart. People would say it's normal... I'd say that once that piece of soft plastic gets replaced there's no more "backwash".

I start the timer after all the chemicals are down the drain. What I do differently is that 10 seconds before the end I drain them. Sometimes I forget but that's what I do. Ilford recommended to dump the chemicals 10 seconds before the timer sounds.

Thanks Daniel!

I inspect the lift to see if I can figure out how to get to the splash guard tomorrow. Also, I do recall reading that Ilford suggests starting the drain 10 seconds early so I may try that.

I nearly always experience “backwash” when I pour too fast. Been that way since I bought the unit new. I just pour a little slower. When pouring in chemistry, I start the timer about halfway through the pour; begin dumping about 10-15 secs before the time is up, depending on how much liquid is in the tank.

Lachlan 717

10 seconds at the end of the cycle will mean very little when developer exhaustion is taken into account. Don’t stress it.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Have you seen the little tubes through which the chemistry passes on the automated processors? Knowing how tiny those are, I fill the lift appropriately slow.

Probably makes no difference how you time as long as you do it the same with each run.

Thanks for the tips, all - I agree it is largely about consistency!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    10 seconds at the end of the cycle will mean very little when developer exhaustion is taken into account. Don’t stress it.
    It will also matter not at all as long as you are consistent and work out your development times to your own practice. Whatever you do, just do it the same every time and its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It will also matter not at all as long as you are consistent and work out your development times to your own practice. Whatever you do, just do it the same every time and its fine.
    +1 to what Roger said.

-Joshua

If you're getting spillover out the waste tube when adding chemistry to your developing tank you need to slow down the pour.