Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I NEED YOUR HELP! 4x5 Field Camera

I NEED YOUR HELP! 4x5 Field Camera

The above link to the Rangefinder article on large-format cameras is incorrect. It should be:

www.rangefinder-network.com/archive/large_format.html

She may want to think about a Speed Graphic. I have gotten pretty good at hand holding mine. I just dont have the legs to carry a big tripod any more. I like to use the rangefinder. Plus they can be used to prod bears away.

Used wooden field, preferrably with enough bellows draw to use a 300mm lens (however, I've equipped my Wista with an extended lensboard for my 300 and it works nicely on the short bellows), used f8 90mm SA (smallest of the bunch), used 135 Angulon or equivalent, used normal 210 (Caltar, Nikkor M etc. Mine is an Ektar 203 f7.7), Nikkor M 300. This is all she will need for years in the field, maybe even for life! My wooden field is a Wista, chosen for its small size (and price!), but the Wisner, Wisner Pocket Expidition, Toyos etc. etc all are excellent machines. The main thing is used. You can set yourself up with the above for well under $3000, maybe even under $2000 if you get lucky. As for tripods, contrary to the common wisdom, my philosophy is "use the smallest tripod possible". Sure, in the wind and storm a monster tripod is steadier, but my Bogen 3001 (the smallest in their line) holds the Wista with a 300mm lens plenty still in 99% of the situations and is really a joy to carry in the field compared to some of the monsters I've had to drag around! Maybe she might even get a few feet farther from the car if she had a lightweight outfit! Good Luck, ;^D)

Hi Tony, Check the ARCA SWISS cameras! The DISCOVERY model or an F-Line with the 6x9 Fron t standard and the 4x5 Back with collapsible rail will be a great and light wight tool for outdoor. Or go for a WALKER TITAN (Bromwell Marketing or Calumet). It is a wunderfull too l as well. With a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 135 this camera is even foldable with the lens on. It is THE CAMERA for all weather conditions. The tripod could be a BERLEBACH Report 8023 with a GITZO low profile head 1250. Either way your sister will have great tools. The only thing she need more is a good eye.

Dont go for the TOYO VX125. It is to expensiv for what it is. (basically the mat erial used in the Toyo cameras is not as good as it looks. You will notice that after a few years of working.)

Good luck, Urs

I have 2 field 4X5 cameras, one is Linhof and the other is Tachihara filstand 4X 5. Linhof is probably too expensive and heavy but I strongly recommend Tachihara wood field camera for your sister. I have used Deardorff 8X10 camera, and now I use also Tachihara 8X10 and noticed Today`s Tachihara`s construction is good a s Deerdorf. Tachihara is slightly lighter than Deardorff and much much cheaper t han Used Deardorff.

For lenses, a lot of Wide type 150mm from schneider, Nikkor, and Fuji are small and light weight. I have Fuji A240mm which is very sharp and very compact. For w ide angle, I feel Schneider 90mm 8.0 is not so heavy and has enough image circl( 170mm)e. Some old wide lenses like angulon, topcor etc. is much smaller but have small image circles for 4X5. ( Usually 150mm to 155mm)

Popular Photography had a review of 4x5 camera within the last 18 months which might be helpful.