Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which 90mm Lens?

Re: Which 90mm Lens?

Or get a set of "close-up filters" which can quickly tell you what other focal lengths you might like. You might already have some close-up (CU filters). If not, they are very inexpensive, used, and can be sold later -- or used.

How to quickly, easily, and inexpensively increase your lens arsenal

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/close-up.htm

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Would strongly advise against going overboard with lenses and other equipment during this phase of your journey. Maybe add that 90, and perhaps either a 135 or 150 to your existing 210 - live with this (three lens) combo for awhile...and who knows, this might just be plenty for the long haul!
    No your right, I intend to keep it simple and as you say hope to get the three lenses you mentioned to cover all possibilities.b

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Or get a set of "close-up filters" which can quickly tell you what other focal lengths you might like. You might already have some close-up (CU filters). If not, they are very inexpensive, used, and can be sold later -- or used.

How to quickly, easily, and inexpensively increase your lens arsenal

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/close-up.htm
    Thanks for that tip xkaes!

Three lenses does not cover ALL the possibilities, lens choice is completely dependent on image goals.. in the world of sheet film view camera the optical/lens possibilities are remarkable in too many ways..

This is the 38mm to 500mm lens set for the Linhof Technikardan 23s,
    used with a Linhof 6x9 super rollex and 120 roll film.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK23s lens set-2sm.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	235526

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK23s banana leaf.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	235528

They all get used depending on images to be made..

Regardless, the basic three, normal, wide, tele applies and is often more than enough for the vast majority of image making needs. The most important aspect of lens choice is driven by how to apply lens focal length ( normal, tele, wide) properly relating to image composition, image structure and those basic foundational elements of any 2D image. This is followed by choice of exposure aperture, which is a major factor in lens choice.

One of the great gifts from learning how to use a view camera has much to do with learning how to "see" and gaining a deeper understanding of composition, shapes, form, light, shadow .. these are the essential elements of any 2D image. The slowness of using a sheet film view camera has a tendency to promote this way of seeing and making images.. All of which directly translated to images made on other cameras from digital to roll film..

Or why simply burning a pile-O-film with a single lens at the beginning of the LF journey is SO very important as there is SO much to learn as the entire process of burning a single sheet of film is much different than a click of the shutter on a digital or roll film camera..

Have plenty-O-fun, Create Plenty-O-expressive images, Much about the journey, not always about the result.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Lightchaser View Post
    No your right, I intend to keep it simple and as you say hope to get the three lenses you mentioned to cover all possibilities.b

I'm with ic-racer, 90mm is pretty wide. I have a 90mm, but I more often us a 105mm f8 SW Fujinon or a 121mm f8 Super Angulon. Both of these are larger sized lenses.

But if it has to be a 90mm, I would go for the 90mm f8 MC Nikon lens. It's smaller than the f5.6 90mm SW versions. It's an 8 element lens, whereas other f8 SW versions have 6 elements. At 235mm, it also has greater coverage than other 90mm f8 SW lenses.

There's also the Fujinon NW 105mm f5.6 and CM-W 105mm f5.6. Not a HUGE image circle, but tiny, light, fast, & with great results.