Thread: Alternatives to Kodak Anastigmat #32 6 3/8

Alternatives to Kodak Anastigmat #32 6 3/8

Hello!

I have a Graflex Series B with a fixed back, and I have been trying to replace the lens (or just the rear element) because of some really bad fungus. I'm not too picky about fungus in really old lenses, but it's to a point where I practically can't use it wide open. I don't think the fungus is active, just very pronounced etchings.

Does anyone know any good replacements for this lens on this particular model? Unlike the rotating back, the fixed back Series B only has a metal lens board with screw threads. I measured these to be about 49mm, but I could be wrong.

Anyways let me know! I'm pondering switching out the board for an old Crown Graphic board.

Re: Alternatives to Kodak Anastigmat #32 6 3/8

I forgot to mention above that it is the barrel lens, not the anastigmat that is often seen in a shutter.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Why not another #32? Those Kodak Anastigmat lenses are quite nice.

I did the same search, for the same reason, long ago - there might be a discussion buried in an old thread here but I can't find it just now. IIRC nothing else turned up. I'll second Brian's point: probably best just to keep an eye out for another #32 in barrel. Don't overlook the possibility of a beater Graflex that happens to have a clean lens.

If the lens board isn't fixed, then of course getting another board opens lots of possibilities.

Wollensak made a 6 3/8" Velostigmat, but I have no idea if the mounting threads are the same.
    Maybe consider an enlarging lens with a threaded adapter? www.customphototools.com

I have a set of #32 cells in VG condition that I'm willing to part with. The shutter they were in died years ago and I never replaced it.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I have a set of #32 cells in VG condition that I'm willing to part with. The shutter they were in died years ago and I never replaced it.

Awesome! I'm guessing they would fit right on the barrel mount? My email is samgriffin4@gmail.com

Also, as to why I haven't just bought another 32 in-barrel: mainly because I haven't been able to locate one in better condition than the one I already have, or that doesn't have a crazy high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Wollensak made a 6 3/8" Velostigmat, but I have no idea if the mounting threads are the same.
    Maybe consider an enlarging lens with a threaded adapter? www.customphototools.com
    Coincidentally I've just started using enlarging lenses, flipped around for macro photography in my 5x7 view camera with a rolling shutter. I'm now going to try that in the Graflex! Thanks for the idea!

Old copier lenses with iris work well with these, but for any lens, make sure rear does not protrude too much at infinity focus, as it can hit the swinging mirror in camera...

B&L, TTH, etc have coated ones about 210mm with iris/f-ring and are about 25 bucks and work well... But usually no flange so you have to get creative to mount...

But a lot of barrel lenses floating around that will work with a new lensboard...

Steve K