Thread: Another One For Critque: "Solitaire"

Another One For Critque: "Solitaire"

I like the idea of submitting photos specifically for critique. Here is my contribution to the effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solitaire.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	235241

Here are my thoughts on this photo:
    There are a couple of the foreground weeds that intrude on the next layer. I wish I had knocked them down.
    The sky, while interesting, lacks drama. I think a red filter might have been too much but I should have used my orange filter.

This was a Shen Hao PTB 4x5, Fuji CMW 125/5.6 and Ilford Delta 100 souped in Ilford DD-X.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Re: Another One For Critque: "Solitaire"

The composition is good, but you are right, the sky needs more drama -- darker sky (orange &/or PL) or darker clouds.

The foreground? Either get rid of it, or get higher and make it a more significant part of the shot.

A very strange image. The sky seems pasted on -- the whole image seems to be a collage. I don't know how you did it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A very strange image. The sky seems pasted on -- the whole image seems to be a collage. I don't know how you did it.
    It's not a collage at all. One single negative.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think it is time for you to take another trip away from the coast, Vaughn!

Yes, I realize it is not a collage (nor a montage.) I believe what gives me the impression is the false horizon created by the rise in the land behind the tree...which creates an interesting disconnect where the sky and clouds usually would meet the earth. Then we have the reeds in front who almost break the fourth wall (theater reference). It all creates a very interesting and unusual landscape. I find that there is a strange echo between the reeds and the clouds. Over-all, a wonderful image.

If you could have gotten higher (platform on top of the car), you might have been able to capture a pretty good landscape photo. Fortunately, I think you did better than that.

Sky drama. Not a big fan unless it matches, or purposefully does not match, the light on the landscape itself. or if the image is about the sky...lots of exceptions, but generally I go light on the sky drama.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

A bit busy for my taste.

I like the position of the tree, I like the tones. I don't like the feeling that I'm laying down looking at it. I feel the camera needed to be 3 feet higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    I like the idea of submitting photos specifically for critique. Here is my contribution to the effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solitaire.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	235241

Here are my thoughts on this photo:
    There are a couple of the foreground weeds that intrude on the next layer. I wish I had knocked them down.
    The sky, while interesting, lacks drama. I think a red filter might have been too much but I should have used my orange filter.

This was a Shen Hao PTB 4x5, Fuji CMW 125/5.6 and Ilford Delta 100 souped in Ilford DD-X.
    Mark I agree with the two weeds. You could have just shot from a higher position to push them down a little. Nice shot.