Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you buy your film?

Where do you buy your film?

Freestyle, JandC, B&H, and my local Calumet.On a sad note, my Calumet location (Santa Ana ) does not carry 8x10 film anymore, and told me in a couple months they won't be carrying 4x5 film anymore either.

Helix in Chicago has the best price I've seen for Velvia RVP 50. As far as b&w goes I have been buying that from J&C but back in January when I bought some Efke it was cut for the European market and wouldn't fit in my holders. I have been waiting patiently since then for the replacement.

multiplex

b&h and j&c

If you are on buying on the web, I think Penn Camera in DC has the best pricing I've found.

It's been a few months, but they used to have a discount and free shipping if you bought a case of QL at a time. I don't know if this is still in effect. That added up to a decent discount, and a much better price than anyone I have found anywhere.

---Michael

Here's a secret -- ask your lab -- they usually have an acct and will be more than competitive.

I use Praus here in Rochester - ask Edgar for Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji - he beats B&H and it is fresh, especially the Kodak stuff since he gets it at the Will Call desk.

Greg,

I don't shoot much 4x5 and when I do its not quickloads, but most of us are dependant on mail order for LF film unless we live someplace where stores actually stock the stuff. Because of this , prices can be pretty competative which in turn brings other factors into play if you're really going to pinch pennies: sales taxes and shipping charges. I live in CA and if I order film from a store in CA that adds almost 8% to the price just in sales tax. Sometimes its cheaper to buy film from an out of state store and pay a modest postal charge---but sometimes even that tack can be even more expensive.

For me, LF is a hobby and I can't spend a great deal of money on it when I'm also raising a family, but it would be easy to go crazy over penny pinching---I'd rather be out shooting than comparing postage rates and computing state sales taxes. My approach is to find one or two (or three) mail order outfits with good reputations and fair prices, Order from them and be a good customer---if they are first class outfits, they'll want your business and deserve your support.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Frank very true. In Albuquerque call Carl's Darkroom.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Edgar does a lot of mail order and it's just like the old days with a Kodak mailer - get your processed film and new unexposed film back in the same package.

Only the boxes are bigger with LF.

Freestyle, J and C, B & H, Citizen Photo, and a the wonderful Little Camera Shop That Could in St. Johns, Oregon, called Blue Moon Camera & Machine. Spread the wealth around.

I HAVE HEARD THAT PHOTO WAREHOUSE IN CA WILL BE CARRYING SHEET FILMS IN THE NEAR FUTURE.......
    THEY ARE COMPYLING A LIST OF LARGE FORMAT FILM USERS AND WILL NOTIFY WHEN THE PRODUCT BECOMES AVAILABLE
    CALL THEM AND PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LIST..........THE NUMBER IS 800 922 5484