Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Negs with Vue Scan

Color Negs with Vue Scan

www.foundobjectsgallery.com/negpos/Untitled-1.html

heres why I use negpos. This is before any colour work and just as a result of dialling in the negpos 'profile' and doing the convert - three 16bit histos in a line underneath each other. I'd need to do th eusual levels/curves moves after this. I NEVER got that with silverfast. But I'm coming to the conclusion that silverfast either works for you and you love it, or you hate it

Color Negs with Vue Scan

what's wrong with the flexcolor? i find it as good as silverfast - actually i started to like it better. just different ways to get colors to look the way you want them. silverfast has a tendency to oversaturate colors in general, but that depends maybe also what one is used to...

Color Negs with Vue Scan

I like Flexcolor a lot better than Silverfast. Once you get your profiles right, bingo.

Color Negs with Vue Scan

For b&w, Silverfast's curve and levels adjustments are not so quirky. The preview is more accurate. Silverfast is MUCH better at dealing with problem negs, ie slightly overexposed negs or negs with a preponderance of dark or light tones.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Color Negs with Vue Scan

Julian, I do not know what version of SF you were using, but AI Studio does just that.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Color Negs with Vue Scan

It's a shame that Silverfast doesn't have a profile for Fuji Acros...therefore I scan a raw file and use Neg/Pos

Guy
    www.guyaubertin.com

Color Negs with Vue Scan

I have Vuescan, Silverfast AI, and Epson. Silverfast isn't easy to learn but it offers more controls than either of the other two once you figure it out (and the instruction book didn't really help a whole lot, I had to buy a book acalled "Silverfast - The Official Guide" for about $30 to really understand it). I haven't kept up with the Vuescan updates since I bought Silverfast but I liked it fine for b&w when I used it except that I didn't find many of the options and controls very intuitive and the Help section wasn't. Epson is very simple, doesn't offer much in the way of controls, but it does have the basics, it worked well and was easy to use the few times I used it for color negatives (or maybe it was slides, I forget).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Color Negs with Vue Scan

Guy,

Create your own.

I find SF profiles in general the best off the shelf available, though Acros is not available, but.....

Any supplied profile is a generality (b&w especially), because the software people have no idea of your developer or your aesthetic preferences. It is extremely easy to create your own profiles in Silverfast for whatever film/dveloper combination etc.

Silverfast>Frame>Image type>user defined>save settings will save all of your settings for whatever film, EI, contrast curve etc. that you want to create. Doing it this way is way more accurate than anything Silverfast or anyone else could supply.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Color Negs with Vue Scan

FYI,

I keep running into issues with my scanning as the years go by and my expectations get higher. As a result I keep trying things like new versions of Vuescan and Neg/Pos to solve problems, which ultimately they almost never end up doing better than SF. I always end up back with Silverfast and learning a new trick or MO which solves my problem better than anything else I try. I have invested an enormous amount of time investigating other products.

I have no interest in SF perse, I recently declined a direct working relationship that SF offered me, because I don't have the time and I want to maintain my independence from manufactures. That is with the exception of Freestyle who when they ask me for a product recomendation and I want to recommend something that is not in their catalogue--they will carry it for me. They are a class act.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: