Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Backpack recomendations

Re: Backpack recomendations

Backpacks are like shoes: one size does NOT filt all. Unless you plan on tumbling down a mountain with your pack on, forget the photo backpacks - IMHO thay are all to uncomfortable and bulky. Those same packs are wonderful for carrying gear on an airplane, bus or train.

If you're really going to haul gear on your back for miles, then start with a pack that fits you and feels comfortable. Next figure ways to protect your gear while in the pack and learn how to pack the load so that it carries properly. If you pick the pack first, then learn how to pack it, you'll be rewarded with many hours of hiking and not hating yourself, or LF photography.

My current pack is a Mountainsmith that fits my torso and I regularly carry 40-50 pound loads and don't hate myself for doing it. Before getting this pack I used another Mountainsmith pack that didn't quite fit me, but was inexpensive and I hated carrying loads heavier than 20 lbs. Fit is paramount, loading is second, I suggest you go to a store and try some packs then make a decision.

Regards, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Check out this site www.photobackpacker.com I saw his stuff at the recent APUG Conference and it's a real cool system.

I inspected carefully this system which was on display at the APUG conference in Toronto and found it to be light and very versatile. Definitely worth looking into for systems up to 8X10.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Check out this site www.photobackpacker.com I saw his stuff at the recent APUG Conference and it's a real cool system.
    I've been using Kelty Redwings on and off for over 15 years to carry large format camera gear. I'm on my second one. I've used a few different methods to protect/organize the gear inside the main body of the pack. This includes individual lens wraps/cases just tossed loosely into the pack, a Pelican divider system, and Gnass Gear products. I have not yet seen, in person, the system from www.photobackpacker.com, but as it fits my Kelty, I plan to check it out at the View Camera large format conference next month.

Here's a photo of my late 1990s vintage Kelty Redwing and Pelican divider system.

Note in the configuration shown, I was carrying seven lenses (eight focal lengths - including the 360/500mm Nikkor T-ED set) with my Toho. By rearranging the dividers, I have also carried BOTH a complete 6x7 medium format SLR system (Bronica GS-1 with four lenses) AND a complete 4x5 system (Toho and four ultralight lenses) in that pack. BTW, I sold the medium format system as it was both heavier and bulkier than my ultralight 4x5 kit.

Kerry

Dave Karp

Another great thing about the Redwing is that you can stick a tripod leg in the cross country ski carrier on the side of the pack (between those humps on the sides of Kerry's pack and the body of the pack - there is a mesh pocket at the bottom to hold the tip of the leg). I use one of my wife's elastic hair thingys (for making a pony tail) to hold the other two legs together. The suspension system on the pack is so very good that the weight of the tripod does not tip the bag much, if at all. Works great.

I just bought a Kelty Coyote 4750, on sale for $100.

A bit larger than I need, but it has an adjustable suspension, ample room for extra gear for overnights, and panel access.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    I just bought a Kelty Coyote 4750, on sale for $100.
    There is also a closeout on Mountainsmith Ghost at Sierra Trading Post for $90.
    Sierra Trading Post Link
    - Phong

I just received the Osprey Atmos 35, Large size. Weight empty is 2 lb. 1 oz.
    With my Ebony 45SU, Gitzo 1228 Carbon tripod with Arca head and RRS Paning head on it, Sch. 80XL, Rod. 135, Nikkor 210, a Kodak Ready Load holder and a box of 20 sheets of TMax 100, Pentax Zone VI spot meter, Lee filters and hood, and various misc. equipement like Garmin GPS, Cell Phone, etc. the total weight comes out to 23 lbs. 2 oz.
    It's a keeper as far as I'm concerned.
    See my earlier post on how the gear is contained in the pack.
    The Osprey and substantially more comfortable on my back than the MountainSmith Ghost was!

Add another tick mark for the Kelty Redwing. I made my own dividers and have a pretty good space left for rain gear and food. My water bottle goes in a side pocket and my tripod straps to (and through) the other side pocket. I also used some 1/8 plexi with foam on the bottom, which does a good job of protecting my Wisner 4x5. I've done a number of 10 miles hikes with this setup in Glacier NP. E.g up to Iceberg Lake....and halfway up the scree field.

I'm in the process of making a second, smaller Redwing into a medium format/micro format (35mm) pack.

Jay Wenner

Another plug for the Mountainsmith products. I bought a Parrallax last year and have really enjoyed it. Well made, well thought out, cheaper than Lowe Pro. I am able to carry a 4x5 field camera and supplies, tripod, etc. It will hold more than I am up to carrying. Lots of options as to how to set things up, with a well designed tripod carrying system. Check them out.

Scott Davis

I've got a slightly older Lowepro backpack that I use for my 4x5 kit and is VERY comfortable and easy to use. It isn't very adjustable, but it fits my Shen Hao and four additional lenses, meter, darkcloth, changing bag, some filters, and a small field toolkit (screwdrivers, lens wrench, cleaning kit) inside, with enough room in the exterior pocket for a 6L Camelback hydration system.

The newer LowePro Trekker II (forget the model name, but one step down from the Super Trekker) that I have for my Hasselblad kit will swallow almost as much as the bag I have dedicated to the 4x5 outfit, but has better padding and the shoulder strap position is height adjustable, so you can change it to fit your torso if you are taller or shorter than the default configuration is meant to accommodate.

Unfortunately, as other folks here have already observed, the dedicated camera bags are quite heavy even when empty. I think it comes down to a decision of do you need the added protection they offer, and is it worth the weight penalty?

As a side note, any specific recommendations for a backpack that will handle 8x10, with 5 lenses (two of them are quite small, and would take up the space of just one modern lens)? I expect that I will have to carry the tripod and the film holders separately, perhaps on the waistband (for the film holders).