Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: LF Lenses to choose

Re: LF Lenses to choose

Both are excellent, with the 55mm APO Grandagon (been there, done this lens) being optimized for f8/f11. If larger exposure apertures are needed, the APO Gradnagon is preferred over the Super Angulon XL as the SAXL is optimized for f16/f22, traditional SA design goal.

https://nielspn.dk/files/apo-grandag...randagon-n.pdf

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why leave out the 55mm Apo Grandagon and the 58mm SA?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why leave out the 55mm Apo Grandagon and the 58mm SA?
    Because he was asking about focal lengths between 72 and 150.

If it were me, and I had the lenses he does, my next lens would be the 115 Grandagon. After that, I'd get a 300mm f/9 lens. If cash was still burning a hole in my wallet, I'd get a 210mm. Wait, there's still more money? Then a 450 Fujinon C. Still more? Then a Schneider 47mm XL.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

An added bonus of the 4.5/90 and 6.8/115 Grandagon-N lens pairing I forgot to mention before is they both take the same center ND filter, and believe it or not limited numbers of these are still available to buy new. This could be a factor if you anticipate needing extreme movements.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Tareq

If that's the case and you are just looking for a few more lenses to have fun with ...
    In addition to the great suggestions already, you might search for a Tele Design longish lens is always great to have. You might search used shops and eBay &c for Wollensak "tele optars".
    There is the 10" (254mm) and 15" (381mm). Sometimes you can find them in Betax Shutters if you need that. They are great all around lenses, coated and having a nice transition between focus and out of focus, and sharp as nails stopped down. If you re doing long exposure work of the heavens they are more easily found without shutters (plain old barrel) ... don't let their brand or age fool you, they are fantastic lenses if you are looking for that sort of thing ( longish that don't use a lot of bellows on your speed/crown graphics or other cameras you might want to use them on ).

Have fun!

Best
    John
    That is great, thank you very much John

Regards
    Tareq

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    They are not made any more, but even second hand the price for a 110 XL in good condition is typically £2000 or more. You could buy both the 90mm and 115mm Grandagon-N lenses for much less than that combined.
    Exactly, i don't need to throw that much for just a lens, i will spend that much for my new latest hobby/passion not large format photography, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Wide angle lenses..
    38mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    47mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    75mm f4.5 Grandagon-N.
    90mm f4.5 Grandagon-H
    105mm f8 Fujinon SW.
    Attachment 234055

72mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    75mm f4.5 Grandagon-N.
    Attachment 234057

More wide angle lenses..
    110mm f5.6 Super Symmar XL.
    115mm f6.8 Grandagon-N
    120mm f8 Super Angulon, Sinar DBM mount.
    125mm f8 Fujinon SW.
    Attachment 234056

All have virtual-near identical optical performance which is outstanding beginning at f11/f16 to f45. There are minor differences in contrast rendition and color rendition.. resolution and all related to that is not significant enough to discuss-debate over. They ALL have baked-in. designed in light fall off issues that is corrected by the proper neutral density center filter.

Question should be what focal length (IMO, 90mm/105mm/110mm are close enough. Moving camera position is often an option) not if these lenses are any... good. Essentially, pick any and make images as all are absolutely capable of producing excellent image quality.

Bernice
    Those are nice collection really, i will see what other lenses i have beside the two new i have, but i think i will just add two or mostly three more lenses to what i already have and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    If it were me, and I had the lenses he does, my next lens would be the 115 Grandagon. After that, I'd get a 300mm f/9 lens. If cash was still burning a hole in my wallet, I'd get a 210mm. Wait, there's still more money? Then a 450 Fujinon C. Still more? Then a Schneider 47mm XL.
    So you started with 115 then 300, sounds they are a great choices then, AND NO, there is no more cash still burning a hole in anything

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    An added bonus of the 4.5/90 and 6.8/115 Grandagon-N lens pairing I forgot to mention before is they both take the same center ND filter, and believe it or not limited numbers of these are still available to buy new. This could be a factor if you anticipate needing extreme movements.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    So you started with 115 then 300, sounds they are a great choices then, AND NO, there is no more cash still burning a hole in anything
    Pro, You're sounding sensible here. My thought after reading various replies in this thread, and especially Peter's (which I recognized as a bit tongue in cheek) was that you need to be careful to avoid a potentially fatal case of "LAD," which is known to afflict LFers. LAD is "lens acquisition disorder."
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo