Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Lenses to choose

Re: LF Lenses to choose

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I bought 72XL for a purpose, and good you mentioned between 72 and 90, that is exactly the thing i know about even without using both, so i know when that 72 is the better choice and even sometimes i want to go wider than that, but another times that 72 or even 90mm are really too wide, and thus i wanted something in between 72 and 150mm, and another one longer than 150mm when that 150mm isn't enough reach or narrower FOV for use, you got the point.
    If you want something "in between", then keeping to a "stop sequence" is a possibility. From 72 to 150 is about x2. So trying a lens with a factor x1.4 might be a good idea. That would be a something around 100. So a 90 or 105 would be a candidate.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

There's the 110 XL, but be prepared to pay dearly for it these days. I went for the Grandagon-N 6.8/115 instead as it is still an excellent performer at 1/3rd of the price. A bit heavier and bulkier though.

Fuji has a 105 SW.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    If you want something "in between", then keeping to a "stop sequence" is a possibility. From 72 to 150 is about x2. So trying a lens with a factor x1.4 might be a good idea. That would be a something around 100. So a 90 or 105 would be a candidate.
    Excellent, the best two choices in this range is either 90mm itself or 110mm, i read somewhere that someone used 90mm and 110mm and he preferred that 110mm more, but the majority are using 90m over 110mm, so i can research more, and again, i am sure any of both will be a satisfactory, i am not too much picky about quality or performance these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    There's the 110 XL, but be prepared to pay dearly for it these days. I went for the Grandagon-N 6.8/115 instead as it is still an excellent performer at 1/3rd of the price. A bit heavier and bulkier though.
    Not sure if you are talking about the used one or there is still a brand new, if it is that much even as an used one then simply i will go with 90mm or maybe 115 as you mentioned, but i will look at those 110mm around and see if i can afford one or not, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Fuji has a 105 SW.
    Good, and what do you think about it? Did you try it or know any reviews about it?

multiplex

Don't worry John, i saw results of 72 and 90 and i decided on 72 on purpose, i am never regret of this lens, i just ask to add more, not to replace anything i have, i am afraid maybe people think i am sad and regret my lenses and i want to replace them, not the case at all, thank you.

Happy new year too!
    Tareq
    Hi Tareq

If that's the case and you are just looking for a few more lenses to have fun with ...
    In addition to the great suggestions already, you might search for a Tele Design longish lens is always great to have. You might search used shops and eBay &c for Wollensak "tele optars".
    There is the 10" (254mm) and 15" (381mm). Sometimes you can find them in Betax Shutters if you need that. They are great all around lenses, coated and having a nice transition between focus and out of focus, and sharp as nails stopped down. If you re doing long exposure work of the heavens they are more easily found without shutters (plain old barrel) ... don't let their brand or age fool you, they are fantastic lenses if you are looking for that sort of thing ( longish that don't use a lot of bellows on your speed/crown graphics or other cameras you might want to use them on ).

Have fun!

Best
    John

Not sure if you are talking about the used one or there is still a brand new, if it is that much even as an used one then simply i will go with 90mm or maybe 115 as you mentioned, but i will look at those 110mm around and see if i can afford one or not, thank you
    They are not made any more, but even second hand the price for a 110 XL in good condition is typically £2000 or more. You could buy both the 90mm and 115mm Grandagon-N lenses for much less than that combined.
    Last edited by Gabe; 28-Dec-2022 at 13:16.

Wide angle lenses..
    38mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    47mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    75mm f4.5 Grandagon-N.
    90mm f4.5 Grandagon-H
    105mm f8 Fujinon SW.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105mm to 38mm Lens set.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	234055

72mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.
    75mm f4.5 Grandagon-N.

Name:	72mm SAXL, 75mm f4.5 Grandagon.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	234057

More wide angle lenses..
    110mm f5.6 Super Symmar XL.
    115mm f6.8 Grandagon-N
    120mm f8 Super Angulon, Sinar DBM mount.
    125mm f8 Fujinon SW.

Name:	110mm-125mm WA.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	234056

All have virtual-near identical optical performance which is outstanding beginning at f11/f16 to f45. There are minor differences in contrast rendition and color rendition.. resolution and all related to that is not significant enough to discuss-debate over. They ALL have baked-in. designed in light fall off issues that is corrected by the proper neutral density center filter.

Question should be what focal length (IMO, 90mm/105mm/110mm are close enough. Moving camera position is often an option) not if these lenses are any... good. Essentially, pick any and make images as all are absolutely capable of producing excellent image quality.

Bernice

Excellent, the best two choices in this range is either 90mm itself or 110mm, i read somewhere that someone used 90mm and 110mm and he preferred that 110mm more, but the majority are using 90m over 110mm, so i can research more, and again, i am sure any of both will be a satisfactory, i am not too much picky about quality or performance these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    They are not made any more, but even second hand the price for a 110 XL in good condition is typically £2000 or more. You could buy both the 90mm and 115mm Grandagon-N lenses for much less than that combined.
    Why leave out the 55mm Apo Grandagon and the 58mm SA?