Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Lenses to choose

LF Lenses to choose

Hi all,

Really so long time ago since i came here to post or comment or even look and read, last 8 years ago it was like upside down for me, i got back to my old hobby as table tennis and since 2017 i got into astrophotography, this and that all made me away from Photography both digital and film, i even didn't do film much yet while i am new to it, i got into film by 2010 only after i came back from NYC in 2009 with film accessories, so it is like 3-4 only that i tried to use film as test but i stopped, so i am planning to return back by next 2 years, i will see if i will get back to it or not, and for that i need to check out if my gear is ok or i need to add something more, and i will start with lenses, as for brand new i only have the following two:

Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N
    Schneider 72mm f/5.6 Super-Angulon XL

I am not sure what i can do with both, also what else i should add, i was thinking about 90mm f/4.5 and 210mm f/5.6 somewhere, i don't know what lenses as used i have with my Speed/Crown Graphic cameras, i think maybe another two or three lenses, maybe Wollensack 162 or Ektar 135mm i really don't remember, so in addition to that above two new lenses, what is your recommendation?

I want something for landscape, cityscape/nightscape in city if possible, portraits if possible too, and abstract whether as still life or macro, i have a garden small one in my yard, it is small, but i can find some things around to image for ideas, so i hope i can get good lenses to push me back, and i want to sell my camera [Shen Hao] first as i keep dreaming about another one, will try that before i buy any more lenses.

Re: LF Lenses to choose

get yourself some fast projection lenses and maybe an industar-37 or a tele-whatever.

Since your question is very open-ended, you are going to get a million suggestions/opinions.

I'll start off by asking what camera(s) will you be using and what format.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    get yourself some fast projection lenses and maybe an industar-37 or a tele-whatever.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Since your question is very open-ended, you are going to get a million suggestions/opinions.

I'll start off by asking what camera(s) will you be using and what format.
    Yes it is wide open-ended so i don't keep asking each time for certain things, so i try to sum it up all here, definitely i want a wide range or collection of lenses to cover many areas, i mentioned two i am sure about, so i want to go from there.

The current cameras i have are: Shen Hao HZX45-IIA which i want to sell and replace it [or buy another if i can't sell it], and Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic both 4x5, not sure one of them is Pacemaker model and the other is Anniversary, so this SG/CG i can use it more for portraits and maybe still life or nightscape.

You already have some very desirable lenses.
    What do you find about them lacking?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You already have some very desirable lenses.
    What do you find about them lacking?
    I didn't use them much yet, 72XL is never used yet as the recessed lens holder has some issues i don't know why, 150 is like a general lens, but if i go for more dedicated such as still life close up or even portraits i don't know if 150mm is enough, what i want to say is that those two lenses are great but will they cover 100% of what i will image with great results?

Without experience, there's no use speculating. Use what you have. If they cover your needs, well, great! If not, you will know which direction to go. Buying stuff is easy. Getting good at LF is not. Like anything, start putting in the work. Instead of gear, buy some film. Use it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Professional, Peter's reply above is the best advice for anyone. It applies to large format as much as to any other and to many other fields of art, craft, etc.

Many of us recall getting interested in photography at a youthful age. Simply having one camera and one lens was exciting! We photographed everything that interested us with enthusiasm and anticipation of the results. Over time, we may have discovered that some subjects could be more easily or successfully approached with other equipment, or we found a "look" that a certain lens would help to create. But don't put the cart in front of the horse.

See this: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ic-bullet.html

Have fun!
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

+1 to Peter and Philip above.

The 150mm is a good focal length for a wide variety of things so I would start by using that and then consider other focal lengths if after some practice you find you often want a shorter or longer focal length. It’s difficult to recommend anything otherwise.