Thread: Help With A 'New' Gitzo Tripod

Help With A 'New' Gitzo Tripod

good day,

i just received a 'new to me' gitzo tripod. it's a very stout little set of legs, yet compact enough to take traveling when airports are necessary. the tripod does not have a center column, but rather only has a flat plate on top with one 3/8" screw. there are no other screws or screw holes around the periphery, as i am accustomed to, to keep the head from rotating on the top plate. is there a intermediate plate i can add between the head and top plate that will give me the ability to do so, or is this a common set-up on tripods w/o center columns (all my other pods have center columns)?

thanks,
    scott

All my Gitzo tripods simply have the 3/8 screw onto which I hand tighten the head. Never had a problem with this arrangement.

I don't think it's a question of center column vs no center column. I have a Gitzo tripod with a center column and with a flat plate like you describe. The screw you mention is in the center of the plate and thet plate fits into a pin underneath it. The pin keeps the plate from rotating and once the tripod head is screwed into place via the screw you mention it shouldn't rotate.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

thanks, fellas... i was concerned about the head rotating on the top plate, but i guess it's not an issue. all my other tripods are boogens, and on them there are three screws around the periphery of the head to keep it from rotating. i guess it's a non-issue... thanks!

scott

one quick follow-up question... how do you guys lubricate the leg sections? if there are polymers or elastomers in the lockers, i don't want to spray anything on there that is going to comprimise the materials. would a lite wipe-down with WD-40 work... or should i use something different like silicon or lithium?

thanks,
    scott

Scott, I've never had to lubricate the leg sections on a Gitzo.

Scott,

Do not lubricate the legs. You will cause them to gum up and/or not lock. They are not meant to be lubed. Here is a link to Nescape and they have a guide to cleaning and maintaining Gitzos (by the way, I have 3! they are great). If you can't find it e-mail me on the side and I will send it to you. They also have parts for the Gitzos.

http://www.naturescapes.net/home.htm

Mike

mike,

thanks so much for passing along that link... it was exactly what i was looking for!