Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Re: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

The Sinar f cameras are great for parts if you're heavily invested in a "real" Sinar, like a Norma or P/X series. The Horseman is much nicer to use in every respect, other than for lugging weight.

I have two f series cameras that I got ridiculously cheap, and couldn't say no. The bellows and backs can be used on Horsemans and other Sinars, and the rails and supports can be used on other Sinars.

The f series is awkward to use compared to just about anything else, and I would be happy to use just about anything else. If you need a field camera, then get a camera that's designed for that purpose, not a Sinar f.

Horseman L series, nice to use... if you're left handed. That is where the camera movement controls are normally located. Been there done this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman LM_B.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	233521

Same ergonomic issue with the Linhof Technikardan, this ergo issues is just tolerated due to the alternatives, which is Arca Swiss or not a lot for a 6x9 view camera.

Sinar has FAR better real world user ergonomics for right handed folks. Once can "slam" the build of the Sinar F series, yet they have endured the test of time and many millions sheets of film burned.. and there are plenty of them on the market to this day.. So, one can rate a camera strictly on mechanical build perception or judge the camera on actual real world image making..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    The Horseman is much nicer to use in every respect, other than for lugging weight.

I thought the horseman could be turned either way maybe I'm wrong I thought it could be right-handed or left-handed.

Name:	forum.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	233522 Right handed ? I believe it comes both ways and can be changed.

Been there tried this, does not work quite "right"... from a right hander..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post

Name:	forum.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	233522 Right handed ? I believe it comes both ways and can be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What “few movements” does the Sinar have that the Horseman (or any other full-featured view camera) doesn’t?

In general, no matter what camera you decide to buy… functional condition is important. And for system cameras, the availability of system accessories that you might want/need.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Horseman L series, nice to use... if you're left handed. That is where the camera movement controls are normally located. Been there done this...

Name:	Horseman LM_B.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	233521

Same ergonomic issue with the Linhof Technikardan, this ergo issues is just tolerated due to the alternatives, which is Arca Swiss or not a lot for a 6x9 view camera.

Sinar has FAR better real world user ergonomics for right handed folks. Once can "slam" the build of the Sinar F series, yet they have endured the test of time and many millions sheets of film burned.. and there are plenty of them on the market to this day.. So, one can rate a camera strictly on mechanical build perception or judge the camera on actual real world image making..

Bernice
    I dunno, I'm a right hander I have found the Horseman L to be the most fantastic camera that I've ever used, including the Sinar F, which I got rid of after less than a year. Couldn't stand the thing.

I find the Horseman to be wonderful to work with--remarkably solid, easy to use, with a fantastic range of movements. I use it for my HABS/HAER field projects, so it sees a wide range of work--landscape, architecture, dams, bridges, etc. It folds easily and fits into a rucksack, together with a Tenba case containing six lenses and supporting gear. I can set thing up on my tripod within a minute or so, and changing between bag bellows and accordion bellows takes less than a minute. For a substantial HABS/HAER field job, I don't want to work with anything else. It is heavy, especially in the backpack with the lenses, but absolutely worth it.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    I dunno, I'm a right hander I have found the Horseman L to be the most fantastic camera that I've ever used, including the Sinar F, which I got rid of after less than a year. Couldn't stand the thing.

I find the Horseman to be wonderful to work with--remarkably solid, easy to use, with a fantastic range of movements. I use it for my HABS/HAER field projects, so it sees a wide range of work--landscape, architecture, dams, bridges, etc. It folds easily and fits into a rucksack, together with a Tenba case containing six lenses and supporting gear. I can set thing up on my tripod within a minute or so, and changing between bag bellows and accordion bellows takes less than a minute. For a substantial HABS/HAER field job, I don't want to work with anything else. It is heavy, especially in the backpack with the lenses, but absolutely worth it.

Bruce
    Really Bruce ? thats great, i was back and forth with Sinar F2 and Horseman L, I just bought a F2 off ebay. I will try it out for a spell and see if i like, if not Horseman L is next camera.

What didnt you like about the Sinar F ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why not show us what you bought?

There are many studying us silently

Wallflowers

Dance now!

Benro TMA37C Tripod.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Really Bruce ? thats great, i was back and forth with Sinar F2 and Horseman L, I just bought a F2 off ebay. I will try it out for a spell and see if i like, if not Horseman L is next camera.

What didnt you like about the Sinar F ?
    Congratulations! Please start a new thread on this topic. Something like “Getting to know Sinar”… would love to hear about your experiences with this camera. Please, richly illustrate it.