Thread: Reviving a 210 Sironar, is it Worth it

Reviving a 210 Sironar, is it Worth it

I was looking for a shutter for a 240 G Claron, I found one at Roberts Camera with a 210 f5.6 Sironar on it that has definite lens separation in the front element, maybe some in the rear element. Is it worth or possible to get this lens repaired? The 240 mounted well on the Copal 1, so I am satisfied with the purchase. But now I have these 210 elements, hmmm.

Re: Reviving a 210 Sironar, is it Worth it

Make a three test exposures with your 210 f5.6 Sironar. One of a high contrast scene (night shot maybe), one of a normal scene (very slight overcast daytime), and one with a full cloud cover. See how the lens performs. I once had a Symmar that was in pretty much the condition of you lens. Performed so-so in the daytime, but amazingly came to be my favorite lens to use for shooting at night... the highlights took on a surreal "glow" that was very much to my liking.

I have a 210 plain Sironar with front lens separation. At the 210 configuration, it works fine. In the 400 or so configuration with front element only, it doesn’t focus well and looks flarey- if that’s a word. Based on that, I’d say follow Greg’s advice and see if it produces something useful for you. They’re probably not worth repairing as there are so many later lenses in that focal length.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Jason Lane (Nodda Duma here on the forum) could probably recement it for you. Or you could attempt it yourself as a learning experience. There's plenty of info out there on the basics. While I've never done this myself, the keys seem to be patience, care to preserve centering (which may require special tools like V-blocks), and cleanliness.

I have a 150mm Sironar or Symmar with pretty bad separation that I plan to learn on one of these days...