Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Re: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by dxp View Post
    Hi Daniel,

Long time lurker here who's just joined. I've been following this thread for a little while now though, and enjoying reading about the assorted lights and modifiers as you've been finding them.

I have a question for you though; the blue support arm on that impact S80, does it have some kind of rubber washer as part of the tightening mechanism, somewhere between the flash housing and the clamping knob? If so, have you had to replace it by chance? I recently acquired several Bron compuls lights (95 and 165 models), and the washers in their respective mechanisms have all pretty much disintegrated, and finding info online to help mw source/fabricate some replacements is proving elusive. I can tell you that the S40 and S80 Washers are interchangeable with Olde Impact 21/41 ones.

Thank in advance for any info you might have!

d.
    Hi dxp,

Yes just this week I encountered exactly that same issue with a new to me S40 bought cheaply like $100. It's a $1295 Monolight like a 21/41 but with continuous adjustable power levels, and few other nice bells and whistles. Anyway YES the head was flopping around on the stand, unscrewing it the silicone-like pink "washer" was fractured all the way around. So, I went to my "Impact" parts box, I had three of those blue columns. One had a pink washer on it in great condition, so I swapped it out. Never throw any of this stuff completely away, strip it apart, and throw everything that comes off in the parts box.

I'd check with Broncolor, but I kinda doubt it but who knows? Larry found a 404 power cord for me, the last in the world according to him. We both laughed. Look for Broncolor junk you can cannibalize. I think I tried brake lining from the auto store, I don't remember that working.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 5-Dec-2023 at 08:01.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Impact Blue Monolight Support by Nokton48, on Flickr

I found the silicone? washer I needed in my Broncolor Impact parts box. Never throw anything away. Wish I had some more of these. Have used Impacts for 30+ years sometimes heavy use. Had one make a stinky smell when plugged in, it was cannibalized for parts.

― Mark Twain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	244146

From the four Compuls lights, these are the two "surviving" washers. But touch them and they flake apart, so they're as good as dead unfortunately.

Seeing as yours is in good condition, any chance you're able to run a set of callipers over it and determine the size? It's challenging to get an accurate reading on mine—somewhere around 68-70mm OD and ~35mm ID, and approaching 2mm thick, though I trust that measurement the least due to the dried out condition.

Actually, one of my Compuls 165s smoked a capacitor (with a bang!) about 10 minutes after startup on the day I acquired it, so my Bron spare parts box got a bit of an early kickstart, unfortunately. I picked up 3x units from the same seller for 50€ each (without flash tubes) and was already planning on designating one purely as a spares donor, so it was really just the decision on which one that would be that was made for me. Meanwhile the other two are on a capacitor re-form cycle as a precaution, but so far aren't showing any issues.

d.

dxp,

From Impact 21/41

51mm Outside Diameter 25.0mm Inside Diameter .8mm Thickness

Looks like the Compuls is scaled up somewhat in size.

Good Luck with your project! I'd make a paper pattern first then transfer it.

In the past I have used a large pair of adjustable pliers, to tighten the blue knobs down on my Impacts. Whatever works!!
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 24-Nov-2023 at 09:05.

― Mark Twain

Thank you kindly for checking...at least I now know not to go salvaging from Impact models for a spare. Good idea about the paper pattern!

The previous owner of my Compuls 95 had substituted a square piece of corrugated cardboard for the washer, and tightened down it was still very solid, so that's another (inelegant) solution.

d.

This thread and a few others online have really inspired me these last few months (plus I've been out of work with the SAG strike) to achieve a long-time goal of owning an Ascor SunLight system. In September I drove up to Boston from my home in Brooklyn and met a wonderful photographer named Ed Braverman who graciously gifted me a complete 800 series kit along with a 900 series stroboscopic unit.
    The 800 unit, with daisy-chain condensers, allows for up to 38,800 w/s with the correct flashtubes. My kit has six condensers, so I'm topped out at 4,800w/s now, with each condenser collating 800 w/s. Unfortunately the power module burned up and I'm on the hunt now for a new one. I've also got a ton of paperwork and bits and pieces I've scrounged on ebay and the dregs of old stores in the New York area. I hope to share some work soon once I'm back up and running.
    A few years ago I bought a ton of IT-N internegative film here on LFPF and I'm excited to use this beast to produce some studio portraiture on the IT-N (rating at 1.5ISO). As always, this forum is a great wealth of knowledge and I hope everyone has fun with strobes and large format.

Name:	ascor.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	244476

WOW. Thanks grantflanagan for your contribution. Now that is a powerhouse. I seem to remember that Irving Penn had an Ascor Sunlight system.

Very cool! Double WOW.

― Mark Twain

Hi Dan,

Yes, Penn had a set with 12 or more condensers, as did Diane and Allan Arbus when they were still married and shooting commercial work. I have a promotional brochure from Ascor that lists about 200 prominent photographers who had the system circa 1954. It's in the pile to scan soon!

Here is a promo photo, I think originally distributed by GE, showing the size of the FT-617 (or 603), rated for 40,000 w/s. The original usage for the system was aerial night surveillance during the second world war.

Name:	282799145_10160012244442766_9034641559919364217_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	244526

I also remember Sports Illustrated used Ascor Sunlights to light up stadiums and events. Triple WOW. Just be careful!

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I also remember Sports Illustrated used Ascor Sunlights to light up stadiums and events.
    "I read it for the lighting setups!"