Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkroom vs Scanning

Re: Darkroom vs Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Ok, i like almond milk, it don't taste like real milk but is still tasty and much better for me. I'm going to find out if this is just people defending their format film vs digital. I will find out for myself and pay a pro printer in both realms and get to the bottom of it. Being out of photography for so long I'm unsure, but i will see if it's possible with my own eyes from a neutral point of view. I believe people on here are stuck on film come hell or high water. I'm for what gets me to my goal and looks the easiest and most efficent and cost-effective. I'm not doubting film, I'm just having too many people tell me you can achieve the same result with digital, this i have to see.
    I shoot both but a lot of the processes are different and have a different feel when you're out shooting. Film slows me down and allows me to concentrate on one shot. It's not just the results.

Thanks bdkphoto. Question for you BDK are those portraits on your website the BW ones film or digital ?
    Thanks for visiting-- both represented in the portrait portfolio - if your interest is B&W check out the New York, and City Limits portfolios and see if you can figure out what's what there...
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

I read a book not long ago by Guillaume Geneste, a well-known printer in Paris who did work for many famous photographers (including HCB). He writes how he would make an initial print and then discuss with the photographer about where to take it from there. He did this for both darkroom and later digital prints, and seemed satisfied with both processes.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    Thanks for visiting-- both are represented in the portrait portfolio - if your interest is B&W check out the New York, and City Limits portfolios and see if you can figure out what's there...
    Hard to tell, i think some of them seem obvious but i could be wrong.

Every photographer needs to decide for themselves how to produce the work that pleases them based on the tools they have available. In my case, current available tools include a decent 4x5 field camera, several quality medium format and 35 mm cameras with an assortment of lenses, a decent 21 mp mirrorless digital camera with 4 prime lenses, some skill using Lightroom and Photoshop, a quality and reasonably new Canon photo printer, and a bathroom that converts to a very small temporary darkroom as needed. Using that gear, I am currently best able to produce the work that pleases me shooting and scanning film and printing digitally. I hope that my goals, skills, and my available tools continue to grow. I may be using a different set to tools next year--or maybe even next week In the meantime, the film-digital debate feels like the kind of family argument that produces more heat than light.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Every photographer needs to decide for themselves how to produce the work that pleases them based on the tools they have available. In my case, currently available tools include a decent 4x5 field camera, several quality medium formats and 35 mm cameras with an assortment of lenses, a decent 21 mp mirrorless digital camera with 4 prime lenses, some skill using Lightroom and Photoshop, a quality and reasonably new Canon photo printer, and a bathroom that converts to a very small temporary darkroom as needed. Using that gear, I am currently best able to produce the work that pleases me shooting and scanning film and printing digitally. I hope that my goals, skills, and my available tools continue to grow. I may be using a different set of tools next year--or maybe even next week In the meantime, the film-digital debate feels like the kind of family argument that produces more heat than light.
    Thanks for your reply Bill, this is no digital vs film debate, this is an honest question can the two different formats/ processes have the same outcome in a print, can both parties arrive at a print that is extremely hard to tell the difference, not what is better?

Hard to tell, i think some of them seem obvious but i could be wrong.
    The "Hard to tell" comment is the correct answer, or more aptly, it doesn't really matter. Choose tools you like, or need to use - if you can't do an analog darkroom do digital. The there is no limitation to doing work this way.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

multiplex

the "hard to tell" comment is the correct answer, or more aptly, it doesn't really matter. Choose tools you like, or need to use - if you can't do an analog darkroom do digital. The there is no limitation to doing work this way.
    "like"

The "Hard to tell" comment is the correct answer, or more aptly, it doesn't really matter. Choose tools you like, or need to use - if you can't do an analog darkroom do digital. The there is no limitation to doing work this way.
    It was really hard to tell, i could have guessed got lucky a few times.

Time for me to repeat myself

I believe, but have no Data

Wet DR is better for our devastated Mother Earth

with LESS pollution than DIGI

I know MY DIGI waste was far greater

DIGI Printer failure, tiny bottles of ink, ruined prints
    Tin Can