Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- :o)

How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- :o)

You must have an art background, you do art-speak so well.

Nah, I'm just in a line of work (nothing to do with art or photography) where, from time to time, a good hot-air generator comes in handy. So I've had plenty of practice... ;-)

This does pose one more question: do all LF photographers have grey beards? And glasses? OK, so this is one for the fellows only... ;-)

Richard
    (bearded and sometimes bespectacled)

Well, my beard is long and about 50% gray, and until I can afford contact lenses again (actually, I should make an appointment) I wear glasses (and will have readers when the contacts go back in and I can't just look over the lenses to read stuff close up). I also have about one 4x5 worth of additional forehead beyond original equipment...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Never bearded, always bespectacled, vast expanses of extended forehead, becoming vaster by the minute...

..Reminds me of the time I was using a LF camera in a touristy type place. While I was doing something...

That reminds me of a time I tried to use my 4x5 in public for the first time, (I had forgot about this when refering to my first public photo on a previous post --- well that was my first photo now that I think about it, since the first time I used the LF in public I didn't get any shots.
    One kid kept staring into my lens while I looked at him on my ground glass. This went on for a while and I asked him to move, but he didn't at first. After he left, I finished composing/focusing, and then went to put the film in the camera. By then that particular family had left in their car. It seems that while my head was covered, his younger brother had pulled all my dark slides in daylight! (They had been on a folding chair beside me.) He even lost a slide - found later in a trash can - thanks to a tip from another tourist. That and other mishaps in public have made me no longer use LF outside. Only use it for technical photography now. I need to rebuild it - one reason I need to make a new bellows - somebody apparently dropped a smoldering cigarette and it landed between the folds of my bellows. A light leak exsists where a burn hole occured.

no beard. specs. all my original hair and teeth.

What a great forum. There's no place like it! Just the other day saw a thread about best firearms to use on recalcitrant cameras. Now this. . My personal inventory? Got specs. Got hair (though now with some grey ones, working on the full Stewart Granger). Beard? Have been off work this week and refused to shave on general principles. Felt like a swaggering, dangerous Buccaneer. Wife looked me over and said "So, I guess most men would have a real beard by now . . . ."
    As for teeth, bust one just the other day. Since I'm the only Dentist for miles around had to enlist the help of enthusiastic amateur. Gave myself the local, then talked a nurse through the procedure. Kept it simple and went for Forceps . . now relieved of one more piece of original manufacturers equipment. No dumb pictures to post yet, but I'm working on it . . .

"do all LF photographers have grey beards? And glasses? OK, so this is one for the fellows only"

Just to lower the tone:

You've never seen a bearded lady?

Haven't you heard that Joan Collins has had so many face lifts that she's now got a beard....

As to beards and foreheads, it can be the result of facial shifting. As the hair migrates to the south, it is as though one pulls on the bottom end. The beard appears to grow and at the same time, the hair disappears from the dome! When the sun is out, it sure would be nice to have a way to release the rachet that makes the process go only one way; to pull the hair back up to the top for a while! There is one good part though: because line is a good element in composition, the beard often adds interesting mid tones and lines to the presentation, which can make for more interesting self portraits.

Re: How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Well, my beard is long and about 50% gray...
    Donald,

Why not start thinning out the white hairs so you can get your beard down to 18% gray?
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 20-May-2006 at 07:51.