Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Re: Help me choose 4x5 camera to buy in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Buy expensive, quality equipment if it will inspire you to do better.
    Quality used equipment is very inexpensive now. The Sinar F2 I bought after two years of saving my pennies can now be bought for a day's wages in the US...

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by hiroh View Post
    Hmm, I like the look of Linhof Master Technika, but there are several models, with a very big price range difference.
    I took the LF plunge about 12 years ago when I purchased a used late-60s Linhof Master Technika (since sold in favor of a really nice used MT 2000), a nice used Technikarden 45S purchased thru this Forum (which I don't use much) and, for studio work in my basement, a beautiful used Kardan Master GTL - all in 4x5 format. So I don't have any experience with other brands mentioned in this thread, but one thing I have learned is that Austin Calhoon at LAFLEX in La Jolla CA is an outstanding resource for servicing and restoring anything Linhof and if you might decide to go with one of the Linhof options you would not regret purchasing one of his refurbished Linhof cameras for much less than the new ones cost. Austin's standards for restoring Linhof cameras are outstanding (they come out like new and functioning perfectly), and so you can keep an eye on his website for ones that become available.

I have visited Austin at his shop and he has a good selection of parts, and quite a few cameras, tripods and other Linhof gear items in various stages of repair (that he plans to refurbish and sell on as his time permits). If his website doesn't list what you're thinking about as available, I'd suggest you give him a call if/when you might decide on a model that you'd like to start with. Ask him if he has one (or some) in his shop that he can refurbish and then send you. He did a wonderful job refurbishing my MT 2000 that I had purchased from an eBay seller in Japan, and the Kardan Master GTL he had refurbished has been an absolute joy to own and use for the past 3 years.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I took the LF plunge about 12 years ago when I purchased a used late-60s Linhof Master Technika (since sold in favor of a really nice used MT 2000), a nice used Technikarden 45S purchased thru this Forum (which I don't use much) and, for studio work in my basement, a beautiful used Kardan Master GTL - all in 4x5 format. So I don't have any experience with other brands mentioned in this thread, but one thing I have learned is that Austin Calhoon at LAFLEX in La Jolla CA is an outstanding resource for servicing and restoring anything Linhof and if you might decide to go with one of the Linhof options you would not regret purchasing one of his refurbished Linhof cameras for much less than the new ones cost. Austin's standards for restoring Linhof cameras are outstanding (they come out like new and functioning perfectly), and so you can keep an eye on his website for ones that become available.

I have visited Austin at his shop and he has a good selection of parts, and quite a few cameras, tripods and other Linhof gear items in various stages of repair (that he plans to refurbish and sell on as his time permits). If his website doesn't list what you're thinking about as available, I'd suggest you give him a call if/when you might decide on a model that you'd like to start with. Ask him if he has one (or some) in his shop that he can refurbish and then send you. He did a wonderful job refurbishing my MT 2000 that I had purchased from an eBay seller in Japan, and the Kardan Master GTL he had refurbished has been an absolute joy to own and use for the past 3 years.
    Thank you for this JMO. I think this is very useful information for anyone looking to buy a Linhof camera.

David

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Quality used equipment is very inexpensive now. The Sinar F2 I bought after two years of saving my pennies can now be bought for a day's wages in the US...

Kumar
    My point is that a craftsman cares about his tools. If he buys crap, that's all he's going to get from his work. If someone can afford $200, spend $300. If they can afford $800, spend $1000. Up your game. Care about your tools and work; you'll get better results.

During covid I picked up four more 4x5 Sinar Norma cameras, all in the $250-$350 price range. Beautiful camera, not much more expensive than a Calumet!

Many parts on this camera were made by Arca Swiss. Even a basket case Norma can be restored. Properly adjusted it is incredibly smooth and a delight to use.

They made nearly a hundred accessories, I own most of them. And they are out there, (available) and not too too expensive. This availability can be a big factor.

Rocky Mtn Park 1992 4x5 Norma 90 f8 SA HP5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

1992 Great Sand Dunes No 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

IMO the Norma is an excellent location camera.

Testing Shanghai 220 Wedding Flash Mamiya C22 105DS by Nokton48, on Flickr

You will not be limited regarding configuring the Normas; This is my 5x7 Twin Lens Norma, which I leave set up in my studio. Wonderful for portraiture and action photography
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 26-Oct-2022 at 10:50.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Jeffery Dale Welker

Many years ago a Wista SP was my first LF camera. After a hiatus from all photography, that included selling my Wista, I got back into LF and purchased an Arca-Swiss F Metric Field w/Micro Orbix camera. It has been a splendid creative tool that appeals to my desire for craftsmanship and precision. I also think the Linhof Master Technika series is wonderful, but limited, movement wise, when compared to my Arca-Swiss. The Linhof is certainly a smaller package, especially when backpacking. However, I find the Arca-Swiss to be surprisingly portable.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

My point is that a craftsman cares about his tools. If he buys crap, that's all he's going to get from his work. If someone can afford $200, spend $300. If they can afford $800, spend $1000. Up your game. Care about your tools and work; you'll get better results.
    Perhaps I should have emphasized both words - Quality used. I don't think any of the cameras mentioned in this thread can be called "crap", though I could name some others. But let's not go there. Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses. My first 4x5 camera (Linhof Super Technika V) was certainly not crap. It simply wasn't the right tool for the images I wanted to create. And as for spending $1,000 when I could afford only $800, my accounting training obliges me to differ...

Kumar

I think you could just as easily say that if someone can only afford an Intrepid 4x5 and not a Chamonix, as long as they care about the tool they've chosen, they will care about what comes out of it. You can choose to care about any of your tools, regardless of their cost/value. All I have for 4x5 is a first gen Intrepid, and I love it, in part because I won it in a competition five years ago, so I still feel like its a prize every time I use it.

While its nice to have the best tools you can afford, it can become toxic to your creativity to tell yourself that only the ultra-expensive (insert brand name here) camera can get you where you want to go.

I recall in an interview with Sally Mann that she stated that her favorite lenses were often the oldest, more damaged/compromised ones, because they added their own unique flavors to the work. Sally ain't no princess when it comes to tools.

After reading some of your responses, I also would suggest getting a relatively inexpensive camera and a couple of lenses, and giving LF a try. If you like LF, then you can easily expand your kit.

I've been a Sinar user in the past, and it's an excellent system with which to begin. I would recommend a Sinar F, which is relatively light weight. Yet, it's been built to professional standards. If you go in this direction, it'll be a bit clumsy. But, if you're willing to do a little handiwork, Sinar F cameras can be customized to not be clumsy and fit conveniently into a backpack.

For lenses, I'd recommend beginning with a 180mm. I've gone with Schneider lenses (Apo Symmar, Super Angulon, etc.); but, Nikon lenses are also good choices, as well as Fuji and Rodenstock lenses. A 180mm is a moderate focal length. It's a little longer than normal, where "normal" in 35mm would be a 50mm. A moderate wide angle lens choice would be a 120mm SW, like a 120mm Super Angulon. For quite wide, a 90mm is a good choice.

In my opinion, the best 4x5 available is an Arca Swiss, which is the system I currently use. But a LInhof Master, which like Arca, has excellent build quality, might also be a good choice. There are also some outstanding wood, clamshell cameras.

Don't be afraid to purchase used. In all my photographic decades, I've rarely purchased LF equipment new. I've occasionally purchased new accessories; but, never a new camera.

As for the customizations I mentioned, I summarized these in a thread begun on the Photrio site:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...camera.172997/

multiplex

Some fantastic images have been pulled out of cameras and lenses that do not cost very much money. Generalizations like if one buys crap one's going to get crap results.. don't really hold water since lots of images people turn back to saying they were "great" were taken with equipment that these days costs very little and people poo poo as crap equipment. I have seem utter cr@p photos from expensive formerly professional equipment. If someone can't drive well in a rusty Dodge Dart they won't drive well in a new Porsche.
    Last edited by jnantz; 30-Oct-2022 at 05:11.