Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Re: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I just bought a Leofoto LM-324CL. It's by far the nicest tripod I've ever had. It would be great for many large format uses. It's a 4 section tripod, where only three sections get you to a 6 footer's eye height. I've wanted a taller tripod for a long time. It's light, very well made, and has a ton of reasonably priced accessories. It also works with my Gitzo 3 Systematic center columns, although I doubt I'll ever need one. The code Holiday20 gives 20% off. I don't know of a better tripod bargain.
    Peter,

After reading your post I went online and viewed the info on the 324Cl and thought, that is really reasonable. Then I put the tripod in the "cart" and applied the 20% coupon making the final cost $275 and free shipping. I thought, for $275 I'll see how it looks. The tripod came in today and the fit and finish is astounding at $275. When I extended the tripod, it hit my overhead fan in my office. The locking legs seem well made. As to those others who don't like carbon fiber, that's all well and good until you start backpacking with an 8x10 and other gear which I just did for 5 days. Oh, by the way I'm 70. While I wasn't carrying this exact tripod, there's a damn good chance that this will be the one that goes on my next backpacking trip due to the height and same weight as my Really Right Stuff version. For $275 it is a steal, for $350 (regular price) it is a hell of good deal. How long will this tripod last? Not sure, but I'll put it through its paces and see how it goes, but my initial impressions - thumbs up. Peter, thanks for mentioning this tripod!!
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 18-Dec-2022 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Peter,

After reading your post I went online and viewed the info on the 324Cl and thought, that is really reasonable. Then I put the tripod in the "cart" and applied the 20% coupon making the final cost $275 and free shipping. I thought, for $275 I'll see how it looks. The tripod came in today and the fit and finish is astounding at $275. When extended the tripod, I hit my overhead fan in my office. The locking legs seem well made. As to those others who don't like carbon fiber, that's all well and good until you start backpacking with an 8x10 and other gear which I just did for 5 days. Oh, by the way I'm 70. While I wasn't carrying this exact tripod, there's a damn good chance that this will be the one that goes on my next backpacking trip due to the height and same weight as my Really Right Stuff version. For $275 it is a steal, for $350 (regular price) it is a hell of good deal. How long will this tripod last? Not sure, but I'll put it through its paces and see how it goes, but my initial impressions - thumbs up. Peter, thanks for mentioning this tripod!!
    Which model of the 324CL?

Oh, the LM.

I got a Manfrotto 3036 in 1984 and it is still my main tripod. Kind of a stupid question, but I have looked up many of the tripods mentioned in this thread and don't see any way to keep the legs from splaying out. What is the deal? How can that be stable, or is there some mechanism to lock the legs to keep from splaying?

For example I'm looking at the Series 5 for possible purchase. No way I'd ever be able to try one in person before I buy.

Also, it was mentioned to mount the camera without a head as another weight saving measure. Is that screw in the center going to fit on a camera base easily to screw on?

Also, the flat feet on that. What about that? Does not seem very stable outdoors. (OK, I see optional pointed rubber feet on the website).

Thanks in advance because I won't be able to 'try before I buy.'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.03.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	233707

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Peter,

After reading your post I went online and viewed the info on the 324Cl and thought, that is really reasonable. Then I put the tripod in the "cart" and applied the 20% coupon making the final cost $275 and free shipping. I thought, for $275 I'll see how it looks. The tripod came in today and the fit and finish is astounding at $275. When extended the tripod, I hit my overhead fan in my office. The locking legs seem well made. As to those others who don't like carbon fiber, that's all well and good until you start backpacking with an 8x10 and other gear which I just did for 5 days. Oh, by the way I'm 70. While I wasn't carrying this exact tripod, there's a damn good chance that this will be the one that goes on my next backpacking trip due to the height and same weight as my Really Right Stuff version. For $275 it is a steal, for $350 (regular price) it is a hell of good deal. How long will this tripod last? Not sure, but I'll put it through its paces and see how it goes, but my initial impressions - thumbs up. Peter, thanks for mentioning this tripod!!
    That's great, Jim!

I'm going to wrap the outer tubes with lightweight bicycle handlebar wrap, using silicone tape (the kind that only sticks to itself), to secure it on the top and bottom. That's what I did with the Gitzo I bought from you. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hudson Henry does that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mblB9msJMoM&t=5s

It gives a bit of protection at the cost of a little weight.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I got a Manfrotto 3036 in 1984 and it is still my main tripod. Kind of a stupid question, but I have looked up many of the tripods mentioned in this thread and don't see any way to keep the legs from splaying out. What is the deal? How can that be stable, or is there some mechanism to lock the legs to keep from splaying?

For example I'm looking at the Series 5 for possible purchase. No way I'd ever be able to try one in person before I buy.

Also, it was mentioned to mount the camera without a head as another weight saving measure. Is that screw in the center going to fit on a camera base easily to screw on?

Also, the flat feet on that. What about that? Does not seem very stable outdoors. (OK, I see optional pointed rubber feet on the website).

Thanks in advance because I won't be able to 'try before I buy.'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.03.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	233707
    These notched levers at the top of each leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    These notched levers at the top of each leg.
    So they have to be in the notches? You can't put the legs at any angle, correct?

So they have to be in the notches? You can't put the legs at any angle, correct?
    That’s right

As Pieter wrote, they lock at certain angles. However, you can put the legs between those angles, but they will not be locked at the angle you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    As Pieter wrote, they lock at certain angles. However, you can put the legs between those angles, but they will not be locked at the angle you choose.
    To adjust the heights in-between the fixed angles, just move the legs up and down as you would ordinarily.