Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 90mm lens for a Pacemaker crown graphic

Best 90mm lens for a Pacemaker crown graphic

I have just purchase a Pacemaker Crown Graphic (4x5) and I am now in the process looking for the best 90mm lens for this camera. I was wondering if anyone has any favorites they would like to share?

Thanks

Gerry

I would suggest the 90mm f8 Fuji, Rodenstock or the Schneider Super Angulon f8. I would not recommend the Angulon. I have never been a fan of this older lens. These f8 models will be smaller and lighter than the f6.8 or 5.6 lenses. I would also suggest getting one of the screen brighteners to brighten the image on the groundglass.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Hi Steve Simmons,

Which screen brighter(s) would you recommend for a Toyo 45AII?

Thank You,
    Rod Stewart

Gerry - if you are focusing on the ground glass, as opposed to using the rangefinder, you may find the f8 lenses a bit dark in all but the brightest of scenes. I switched to a 90/5.6 Super Angulon and focusing was much easier. The drawback to the 5.6 lenses of this design, howeve, is the size of the rear element. I'd suggest measuring the throat of your bellows, and checking that against the lens specs (there are diagrams with measurements on the Schneider site (http://www.schneideroptics.com/photography/).

Another alternative in that approximate focal length would the the 80mm/f4.5 Super Symmar XL. It's considerably more compact than the Super Angulons.

It depends on the use you will put it to. For ordinary photography, especially landscape, then a 90mm Angulon or Wide-Angle Raptar is quite good enough, when stopped down to f:16 or more. They're smaller and a heck of a lot less expensive than the Other Ones mentioned above. You'll find lots of them already mounted on the appropiate Graphic lensboard.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

While I don't have first-hand knowledge, I seriously doubt you could fold up any press camera with a Super-Angulon or similarly sized lens inside. This may or may not be a factor for you.

Rod, If your 45 AII is original from the factory then it should already have the Toyo Superscreen, their fresnel, installed. I find this to be a bright screen, even in relatively dim dusk light and use it all the time with an f9 300mm lens.

If this is is your setup then the gg or screen may be dirty. If it is not what you have it is a good place to start.

To a certain exten screen brightness is subjective ... what is very bright for me may be dim for you.

Sorry got my screen terminology confused ... superscreen is a different one. The Toyo factory installed fresnel screen is called a 'Super Brite' and these words are actully written on one of the lower corners of the screen.

or a nikkor sw 90mm f8 - superb lens if you can find one.

I've used this with the Toyo 45A and Toyo's brightscreen. It's not the bightest of the lot (for that I'd pick a Maxwell) - but does pretty well.

I've shot lots of interiors with this. It's got a bit dark in dim rooms and corners, but I've never not been able to use it.

As much as I really like most Fuji lenses, I've found I preferred the nikkor 90mm f8 to the fuji (though the latter is often cheaper)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Gerry: Are you planning on hand holding the camera? If so, the 90mm angulon is the way to go and it will fold up into the camera. I have found the later ones (serial nos. with a 7 or higher) to be quite decent. The modern lenses are vastly bigger and heavier. If you are using the camera as a field camera with the ground glass for focussing, the major manufacturers all make nice ones.