Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

"It's not Zeiss mystique, it's supply, demand and performance that drives the prices up."

As I stated before and this is probably related to Richard's question, why the high prices for these lenses? It's a handfull 'ebayers who are looking out for the Zeiss brand and who compete to the teeth to get these lenses. Many of them located in China3, US 2, Japan 1.

As for market value in general...these lenses also go much cheaper occasionally...that's how these ebayers make their living.

Richard, if you ever want to sell this lens...make sure you get these ebayers interested (at the same time). But I sense you are more interested in the photography as the rest of us.

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Hi Kerik,

I took one of your Platinum workshops back a few years ago and it is very nice to your name again. Fond memories. You pushed me to but my first 8x10 right at that shop, a nice Wista with a 14" Dagor brass barrel lens for $700. Never touched my 4x5 again and still don't have the balls to go for 14x17 yet. But I do have a few books by Kenro Izu. I have much admiration for your vision and your beautiful prints.

I sold one of my 180mm Zeiss Dagor f9 on eBay a few weeks ago and used the proceeds to buy some old heliar lenses, the one left will go to my grave with me. Does that make me less interested in the photography?

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Hi Kerik,

I took one of your Platinum workshops back a few years ago and it is very nice to see your name again. Fond memories. You pushed me to buy my first 8x10 right at that shop, a nice Wista with a 14" Dagor brass barrel lens for $700. Never touched my 4x5 again and still don't have the balls to go for 14x17 yet. But I do have a few books by Kenro Izu. I have much admiration for your vision and your beautiful prints.

I sold one of my 180mm Zeiss Dagor f9 on eBay a few weeks ago and used the proceeds to buy some old heliar lenses, the one left will go to my grave with me. Does that make me less interested in the photography?

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

What about the different brands of this lens or indeed lenses like the Red Dot Artar. Should you just try to get the focal lenght and F:stop you need at a decent price disregarding who made it or should you try to find a specific brand for its better perfomance ?

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

FWIW I find that my performance as a photographer nearly always comes up shorter than the performance of my lenses. If the name on the lens is worth greater consideration than the subject, something ain't right :-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Very wise indeed but I guess you still you pick a lens for it lest you are content using a pinhole...

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Hugo,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you're still at it! How are you liking the Heliars?
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Zeiss Goertz-Dagor

Got three Heliars and they are on their way to me. 30cm, 36cm and 42cm. Need to put a Parkard shutter on my 2D Kodak for those beasts. I will ask Jim for some advice on how todo it. Look at the price of platinum now! You neeed to raise the price of your prints.