Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 24cm X 76 meters of Agfa Aviphot 200 has arrived

Re: 24cm X 76 meters of Agfa Aviphot 200 has arrived

I have also been playing with one of the 24cm rolls of Aviphot 200. I bought it with intention to use with 18x24cm, but ended up distracted by 7x11". I am currently using it at 100 iso developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 8 minutes in tubes. It was much easier to scan than print, so I need a bit more testing. It is not easy to cut (so thin), and you can see the image below is not quite square...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aviphot.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	238981

very thin film was made to be used as a roll

when it is cut down it curls

Make a vacumn back

and I kid you not, use a Penis Pump as they have tiny...they recharge and turn off

and are very cheap
    Tin Can

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mine curls a tiny bit as you can see here, but when inserted into the olde Sinar Norma 18x24cm wooden holders, it's flat and doesn't move around at all. Seems to be clamped down in the holders, so it's fine for my uses. I don't use hangers, I tray develop in 8x10 Cescos from B&H. Or I might try the venerable 8x10 Unicolor Unidrum, I'll report what I find. Jim Galli has not reported any problems over on Phototrio.

400s 70mm Supergrain Blad 30 Distagon 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Test roll (31 exposures) fresh 70mm Rollei 400s, processed in Rollei Supergrain. JOBO 120/220 reel modified to 70mm width by me, JOBO Multitank 2 Agitated by hand. Film shot last spring, then life came along................... Hasselblad A70 mag, 30mm Zeiss T* Darkroom print Omega DII Omegalite head Aristo #2 RC Ultra Multigrain Dev
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

ID:	238981[/QUOTE]

Hi Jason!

That looks pretty good to me! The highlights do tend to "bloom" a bit, there a lack of antihalo backing. Also the film having a slight curl means no probs identifying the emulsion side in the dark. No need to clip a corner. Can't speak to how it fits in Fidelities and Liscos, I just really dig these olde Norma holders. I have eight of them

I bought a couple of new cutters, I'll show you Guys what's up with those next. Hope to load big holders soon as I have time

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I have also been playing with one of the 24cm rolls of Aviphot 200. I bought it with intention to use with 18x24cm, but ended up distracted by 7x11". I am currently using it at 100 iso developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 8 minutes in tubes. It was much easier to scan than print, so I need a bit more testing. It is not easy to cut (so thin), and you can see the image below is not quite square...

ID:	238981
    That's a great photo!

Thank you!

I didn't find the curl to be an issue. It sat flat in my holders, and didn't shift around much. I think I have figured out how to cut it evenly (which is, apparently, what I do on Friday nights). The key for me is ensuring that the film reel is parallel with the side of my Rototrim. Sounds obvious, but it is hard to do in the dark.

I was worried that the thinness of the film would mean that it wouldn't sit evenly at the plane of focus in my film holders, but I didn't see any evidence of this. Regardless, a vacuum holder is not the solution. The emulsion of a thinner film would sit further back (and further away from the plane of focus) than a thicker film. It needs something like one of the Linhof film/plate holders which pushes the film forward, rather than pulling it backwards. But loading those with thin film would be very frustrating.

Very happy with my adventures so far.

PLEASE check out Jim Galli's thread over on Phototrio. He doesn't post here on LFF any more. Too bad for us.

He has been cutting 9.5" Aerial rolls for decades. He is THE MAN regarding using Aero films for pictorial work.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2679350

Check out his pictures in back issues of "VIEW CAMERA"
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 21-May-2023 at 06:12.

― Mark Twain

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the Fiskar Cutter Jim Galli directed me to. Bought cheaply on Ebay, got four new 45mm blades at the local fabric store. Great cutter! I see why he likes it! Here is my cutting setup, set up for cutting 18x24cm sheets from the huge roll of 24cm Agfa Aviphot. Same emulsion as Rollei 400s, basically. Identical if not the same. Has some slight Infared effect that is very pleasing. I've been shooting this film as Rollei 400s in fresh 70mm, and I like it. Between the Mammo Film, Agfa Aviphot, and Fuji HRU I am all set for 8x10 size shoots. Something I can do in winter times. I have eight 18x24cm original olde wooden Sinar Film Holders that are perfect for shooting this stuff. If I contact print on 8x10 paper, it makes a nice wide black border that I like. Of course I have to spin the plastic cylinder of film so it is oriented for easy cutting. I will set up some wooden stops to hold the biggie roll so it doesn't slide around in the dark. That's about it for now

EDIT: Spin the cutter 180 degrees (facing down), and use a plastic Cesco print tray to keep the heavy roll parallel to the cutter. The Galli Method!

― Mark Twain

You are the correct person to promulgate this adventure

I miss Jim on this forum

The Trio is too hot for me
    Tin Can

Thanks Randy. That's good of you to say that

OK Guys, anybody here try MeCD4 or Diafine with Aviphot 200?

BTW there is a guy on 'Trio that wants to sell cut sheet film sheets, and ready to go rolls of 120 and 220!!! rolls of Aviphot 200. I told him I will buy ten rolls of the 220 to try. This is a cool idea

Twelve Bucks a roll for 220, hope he starts doing this

― Mark Twain