Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leveling implements

leveling implements

Has anyone tried to save time in the field by utilizing some sort of leveling device that wouldn't have them fiddling around with their camera for about 5min. It takes me a bit to make sure everything is level and I was wondering if there was something some you guys used to shave some time off that process? Let me know as I have seen a few things on the BHphoto site that seemed rather interesting. Thanks guys.

Jordan

Re: leveling implements

I have one of the small hotshoe double levels that I sometimes use. Recently I saw a similar device with three levels built into it, which might be better.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Terence

I just use a bullseye level from Lee Valley:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...09&cat=1,43513

I use a bullseye level from home depot very similar to the version terence posted. $3-$4. I don't have it attached to the camera but just rest it on the bed when i need it. Buy 3 or 4 of 'em.

I have a few different levels. Sometimes I just use a simple pocket level.

Slightly better than that is an angle finding level, that can be used to determine whether the back and lens are plumb, or to transfer movements from one standard to another, like on a Sinar or other camera with scales--

The best thing I have for this purpose is a Suunto Tandem clinometer compass, which is a fairly precise clinometer for measuring tilt angles or the angle of the focal plane, or a compass for measuring the swing angle. It turns just about any floppy wooden camera or no-frills monorail like a Gowland into a fairly precise instrument. You can usually find them at good prices second-hand on eBay from guys who have purchased them for installing satellite dishes.

I have an inexpensive plastic level that I picked up from Sears for about $3. I like the plastic to reduce the possibility of scratching a lens.

In addition, I use the levels on my 3090 Bogen head. The levels are adjustable. Once set, I know that my front and back standards are correct, as long as they're in their zero detents.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I have a few different levels. Sometimes I just use a simple pocket level.

Slightly better than that is an angle finding level, that can be used to determine whether the back and lens are plumb, or to transfer movements from one standard to another, like on a Sinar or other camera with scales--

The best thing I have for this purpose is a Suunto Tandem clinometer compass, which is a fairly precise clinometer for measuring tilt angles or the angle of the focal plane, or a compass for measuring the swing angle. It turns just about any floppy wooden camera or no-frills monorail like a Gowland into a fairly precise instrument. You can usually find them at good prices second-hand on eBay from guys who have purchased them for installing satellite dishes.
    I own the suunto as well for the Sunpath software but i hadn't thought of using it on my camera. thanks

I have an Arca Cube and it is the single best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Put the camera on, dial in the two axes and forget it..Evan Clarke

A monorail camera is the best device I can think of for doing quick, efficient leveling...! Or a half-decently designed tripod head.

I have levels on my camera and use them to great effect. I was more wondering about "leveling heads", "leveling columns", and this other thing that I gues you put between the tripod and the tripod head all which I believe almost level the camera for you. The problem is I fiddle around with the levels for so long that I miss good sun and shadow due to clouds passing amongst other things.