Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tripod sleeves

tripod sleeves

Mmm, chill Lee.

Anyways... I've wraped bike tubes around tripod legs and it helps to protect them plus keeps your hands a bit warmer. But I haven't found that they offer much padding. It is cheap though, especially if you happen to ride a bicycle often and have heaps of old tubes... What I do is take a 26" mountain bike tube and cut out the valve. Then I take the rest, try to avoid any large holes (it is a used tube afterall) and cut it open so the tube then lays flat. Then on a seam I will cut the now flat piece in half length wise. Then I simply wrap one of those long pieces around the tripod leg nice and tight and overlaping a bit as I go, and secure it with electrical tape at the ends. You also will want to wash the piece though, it usually has a powder on it which prevents it from sticking. If you want it to really stick to the tripod leg, you can also try a little hairspray. I think I used one tube to wrap maybe 2 of the legs on a Bogen 3021.

I would imagine the more you overlap on the wrapping the more padding you will get, but I don't think it will make much difference overall. On the plus side, it is very weather resistant.

tripod sleeves

I think OpTech makes the "padded leg socks" and that they are available from B&H. I have a Gitzo set, but I don't think they are available anymore. The inside is just the Home Depot/Lowes type of foam insulation. The socks dress them up a bit. I especially appreciate them when it very cold.

tripod sleeves

Yup, foam pipe insulation for under $2 from Home Depot did the trick for me too; fits perfectly, no need for tape.

If you want to pinch a few more pennies on a cheap but handy tripod strap, try the 99 cent store for two nylon-mesh band dog collars and a leash.

tripod sleeves

Many thanks to all! However I am a bit puzzled by the gentleman requesting I use my REAL name instead of the pseudonym I have earned through much dilligence and effort over many long years. It hasn't been easy, and I would give it up grudgingly, not to say grumpily. If I have the pucks? Anyone for hockey?

tripod sleeves

Get a Ries or Berlebach and enjoy yer splinters, lads---this ain't a game fer wimps! ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

tripod sleeves

god - I hate those naff wooden tripods - complete pita
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Abuser of God's Sunlight

tripod sleeves

funny ... i love my wood tripod. it's not a precious one--it's the "my kid made it in shop class" looking zone VI. what i like is that there's nothing to bind or jam, it's easy to handle in cold weather, with or without gloves, never pinches me, and is more comfortable to carry than a similar sized metal one.

i prefer metal cameras to wood ones, though, and have noticed that my industrial looking toyo looks a little odd perched on wooden legs. but i'm prefer not looking like i bought everything as a kit from a catalog. that's part of why the duct tape and pipe insulation appeals to me.

tripod sleeves

Yo, Grump. I've worked hard for my moniker also. And well deserved too. Was going to be "haim yankle" but too hard to explain to non-Yiddish speakers.